MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:27 PM   #1
Brad-B-Q
Found some matches.

Default Weber Grill vs. Smoker

I've always had use of my family's 250 gallon smoker and they have recently sold it. I live in a townhouse and have been smoking on a modified ECB for my wife and son. I've been getting pretty tired of significant fluctuations in heat and having to constantly screw with the coals. It's time to upgrade to something a little better. I initially was thinking the Weber Performer Platinum (22.5") because I've seen the BBQ Pit Boys cook just about anything on theirs. But I'm also considering the Weber Smokey Mountain (large one). The 26" Weber Kettle is also a possibility...its the same price as the Performer and I'm not sure the cart and charcoal bin is that useful for me. Other options include the Big Green Egg, a less affordable Kimodo, or maybe a generic grill with offset smoke box by brinkmann or char- broil.

I'm also interested in participating in some local barbecue (and chili) competitions and don't want to roll up with something ridiculous. Whatever I buy needs to be appropriate for an amateur competitor.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure some of you folks have owned some of the options I'm considering.

Thanks!
Brad-B-Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2014, 02:51 PM   #2
MatthewC
Got Wood.

I am a huge fan of Weber. The kettle to me is a must and I do most of my cooking with it. I also have a WSM and it is great. It holds such steady temperatures and food comes out better than I should be able to cook. It seems to give a better flavor than my kettle on pure smoked meat. I use the kettle the most though because I always grill with it and seem to use it more for smoking as well because I am usually only smoking one meat at a time and the kettle takes less charcoal
MatthewC is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-28-2014, 03:00 PM   #3
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

Are you looking to buy something to grill on or something to smoke on? If you need both, and only want to buy one thing, then I probably suggest one of the ceramics like the BGE. While you can smoke on a Weber kettle, and you can grill on a WSM, they are not really made to do that.

Then again, for the price of a BGE, you could buy both a Weber Performer, a 22'5" WSM, the add-on for the kettle to turn it into a pizza oven, charcoal for a year, and a bunch of meat.

Another question, are you looking more set it and forget it like a WSM, or a stick burner more like what your parents had that you need to tend during the cook?

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review HERE. WSM Mods HERE. My Brisket Guide HERE.
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2014, 03:03 PM   #4
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

I would highly recommend the Weber kettle in your situation, either the 22.5 or 26.75 OTG. If you have a place for it and can spring for the extra cash, the size of the 26.75 OGT is certainly worth it; I routinely build a perimeter snake and can smoke anywhere from 250* to +325* for up to 6-8 hours without refueling with plenty of room for a big brisket, a 17-20 pound turkey, a few racks of ribs or a couple of butts. And of course you can always build hot direct fires for grilling burgers & steaks.

Edit: but I'm not sure about the competition capsbilities of the kettle???

Old 11-28-2014, 03:07 PM   #5
Brad-B-Q
Found some matches.

I don't mind tending to it during the cook, but my ECB requires an absurd amount of attention. I have a pretty nice gas grill for steaks, vegetables, etc., so it will be used primarily for smoking ribs, pork shoulder, brisket and sausage. I know the Weber kettle can do all of these things and requires less charcoal than the WSM. On the other hand, I'm really looking to get into competitive BBQ and until I can afford a proper competition rig, I need something that will produce excellent smoked meat. The BGE seems to have a loyal following, but for the money I can almost step into a nice Yoder pellet grill. I saw a guy post pics of 3 of the larger WSM side by side, which he was using to cater an event. It looked impressive. I was thinking the 26" Kettles could get the job done too.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:11 PM   #6
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

What type of competitions? That makes a big difference. In KCBS competitions, you can cook everything on one cooker, but have at least two is much easier and flexible. A 22.5" WSM would be the minimum I would consider. You can do two butts and two medium sized briskets and get them done early and into a cooler or Cambro to rest and then put in the ribs and later the chicken.

Having a WSM and a Kettle would give you more flexibility and make the timing easier.

DATE AND LOCATION CONFIRMED!!! Saturday, January 25, 2020 - BBQ Brethren Chicago Area Mid Winter Lunch

Naked Fatties Rock!

4x Hunsaker Cans/PK360 X 2/Campchef FTG600/Southern Q Limo Elite/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #7
Brad-B-Q
Found some matches.

So far, I've only looked into FBA...I believe their turn-ins are one hour off. I guess its boiling down to whether the 26" Kettle can smoke as much meat as the WSM at once...and whether the Kettle's end product is as good.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #8
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

The product is as good as the pitmaster I doubt the 26" Kettle can handle as much as a 22.5" WSM, but I've never compared the two.

DATE AND LOCATION CONFIRMED!!! Saturday, January 25, 2020 - BBQ Brethren Chicago Area Mid Winter Lunch

Naked Fatties Rock!

4x Hunsaker Cans/PK360 X 2/Campchef FTG600/Southern Q Limo Elite/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #9
rickv14623
Full Fledged Farker

I was grilling and smoking on the 22.5 kettle and have added a Smoke-EZ to the kettle and a Jumbo Joe that was on clearance. I can go back and forth from kettle to multi-rack smoker.

Old 11-28-2014, 04:58 PM   #10
1911Ron
is One Chatty Farker

I used to not like the performers as i was old school Weber, however now that i have a couple i love them so much i can't see why i didn't have one before.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:02 PM   #11
Brian in Maine
is Blowin Smoke!

Get the WSM, and watch Craig's list for a kettle, as they are listed often. That way you will have a great chicken cooker with the kettle.

2 WSMs
2 OTG One red one black
22 1/2" black Bar-B-Kettle with rotisserie ring
Brinkman dual zone charcoal grill
Webber Silver Genises B
3 burner camp stove
Brian in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-28-2014, 05:42 PM   #12
Wickedcajun
is One Chatty Farker

For the price... can't beat the performer

Old 11-28-2014, 06:15 PM   #13
JDM46
is one Smokin' Farker

Hard to beat Weber for all around cooking. Currently use a 22.5 kettle, 22.5 WSM and a WSM Mini.
With indirect heat on the kettle, it will smoke as well as the WSM. True the WSM is easier for temp control.
JDM46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2014, 07:49 PM   #14
allboy
Full Fledged Farker

The 22.5 kettle will do it all unless your cooking for a extra large group. It's been my go to grill for 20 years.
allboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2014, 10:04 PM   #15
Zin
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
The product is as good as the pitmaster I doubt the 26" Kettle can handle as much as a 22.5" WSM, but I've never compared the two.
It can handle the same if not more. Using one weber charcoal basket you can also use the 22" charcoal grate as extra grill space plus the top grill grate.
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
performer, Weber, WSM