MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:16 AM   #1
jsaletin
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default WSM 22” half heat shield for both indirect and direct?

Hi everyone! This may be my first post but you all have made my que so much better. Thank you!

I had a question wasn’t sure if anyone has tried. I’m doing a brisket and 2 butts tmw for the fourth. I like to cook my butts direct over the charcoal to approximate NC style so the drippings render. However brisket needs that slow indirect heat.

I’m debating trying a make shift heat deflection on half the WSM using a disposable pan. So the brisket will be shielded but the pork can go direct.

Has anyone ever tried a two-zone set up like this in a WSM?

Alternatively I can just leave the water pan and do everything indirect, it will be tasty regardless.

Cheers!
Jared
jsaletin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2018, 01:00 PM   #2
Steve S
Take a breath!

I've not cooked in my WSM without the water pan in place. However, if you were feeling adventurous, you could put your butts on the bottom rack and use them to shield your brisket. I would probably stick with what I know though, cooking for others.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:17 PM   #3
dgaddis1
Full Fledged Farker

It's gonna be a PITA IMO. To cook the way you want (direct butts, indirect brisket):

I'd put the butts on the lower rack direct. Put the Brisket on the upper rack in a disposable pan w/a rack in it to shield it from direct heat and keep drippings off the butts. Or find a way to hang a pan under the upper rack w/the brisket on it.

Problem with that is, besides needing a pan w/a rack in it, you'll want to put the brisket on first since it takes longer to cook, so logistically it makes sense to put the brisket on the lower rack. If you put it on the upper rack, it's going to be more of a hassle getting the butts in there.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:24 PM   #4
kevinstaggs
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Possible the 2 butts will fit on l one half of he top grate and the brisket on the other? If so remove the water pan and set a couple of foiled cookie sheets under the brisket for a poor man’s heat deflector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
kevinstaggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-03-2018, 01:25 PM   #5
kevinstaggs
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

To clarify - cookie sheets (aka deflector) on bottom rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
kevinstaggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2018, 02:43 PM   #6
jsaletin
Got rid of the matchlight.

Thanks to everyone here for quick replies! I think it may be more pain than it’s worth, and I may just cook it all indirect and keep it simple. As Steve said, cooking for a crowd, no reason to try anything too new.

Thanks for help thinking this through!
jsaletin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2018, 02:51 PM   #7
Steve S
Take a breath!

That was good advice I have received here more than once. Just passing it along.

Thanks from:--->

Tags
WSM