• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Venison Pastrami

cowgirl

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I made some pastrami from a couple of small deer roasts.
This was from the hind quarter of a little buck I harvested this season.

The cure...this is enough for 5lbs of meat
5 tablespoons Tender Quick
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground paprika
1 teaspoon ground bay leaves
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

I mix the cure, rub onto the meat and shake off any excess..

002-12-1.jpg

014-5-1.jpg

I wrap it and let it cure...this batch cured for 5 days.
Then I soak in fresh water for a couple of hours...

004-7-1.jpg

Before smoking, I season it with a mixture of garlic, allspice, crushed juniper berries, onion powder, crushed bay leaves and mustard seeds...

Then put it on the smoker with a bit of hickory...

038-3-1.jpg

060-1.jpg

After smoking, I wrap in foil and fill the pouch with beef broth. It steams a bit and makes sure the pastrami is moist.
I let this sit for at least 30 minutes...

063-1-1.jpg

021-3-2.jpg

I like it with spicy brown mustard, melted cheese and some twangy green tomato dill pickles.
I wish I would have had a different bread, but this was all I had on hand. It was pretty tasty though. :wink:

039-6-1.jpg

038-2-1.jpg

Dang! Looks great! I wish I had the time to do some of these recipes! I made some venison steaks I found vac sealed in the freezer from a few years back. I wanted to tone the game taste down in a hurry since it was a thaw and grill kinda night, so I rubbed with beef bullion, extra virgin olive oil and made my own garlic herb mix. I threw them on the gasser to sear for a few min per side. They came out awesome and juicy with very little skunky flavor. I served them with a little broth to dunk, I gotta say, best buck steaks I've ever made. I know no pics, never happened. My cell phone is giving my fits to send over the bluetooth to the laptop.

Any chance you'd send me some of that grub to PA? :icon_wink

Gosh Darn It Cowgirl.... yesterday it was the prime rib.... Today this...... now I have to try this..... Great Job as Always.... looks really good:biggrin:

Ohhhh I just can't keep up with you but it's fun as he!! watching.

Brilliant once again.:)

THe pastrami looks great nice color and pics of the supper plate mouthwatering.......

Dear Cowgirl,
I think you are just part of an evil plan to torment us all for some Un-Godly reason.....Why, why, why must you do this to us constantly? Do you not like us?.... I tried to like you, but you are making it waaaay to difficult for me....By the way that looks AMAZING...You're the best.

Dan

Great pics and great idea for venison CG!
The cure will begin this weekend, thanks!:biggrin:

Dang girl that looks great. I'd like to have one of them on my plate right about now

Thank you so much folks! You're too kind. :wink:
The pastrami recipe works great for beef too.

Dear Cowgirl,
I think you are just part of an evil plan to torment us all for some Un-Godly reason.....Why, why, why must you do this to us constantly? Do you not like us?.... I tried to like you, but you are making it waaaay to difficult for me....By the way that looks AMAZING...You're the best.

Dan

Dan, I like you all..........a LOT! :biggrin: :wink:

Puff, good luck with your batch! The recipe is enough for 5lbs of meat.
Hope it turns out well for ya. :)

Back