• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First cook: new to me offset (ride along)

HankB

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I recently picked up a New Braunfels Black Diamond to see what it would be like to cook on a stick burner. Yesterday I picked up a 14 pound brisket that is about two feet long for this cook. It looks like it will be a better fit in the offset than the 22 WSM.

I started with some mods. These are temporary so I can see how they work. This grill has charcoal greates which I wrapped in heavy duty aliminum foil to convert them to tuning plates.

DSC_6941-PP.JPG

I also extended the stack to grate level.

DSC_6943-PP.JPG

Split some oak and box elder I had drying in the back yard.

DSC_6949-PP.JPG

This morning I lit some lump and used that to light a modest fire.

DSC_6955-PP.JPG

It turned out to be too modest, only getting the cooker to about 150°F before the box elder burned off without getting the oak going. I added more of each and soon the temps in the smoke chamber shot past 300°. They leveled off at about 360° at both ends and started to drop. (I'm monitoring cooker temperature with both probes of my ET-732 laying on the grate.) At 320° I put the meat on and threw a couple more splits on.

Now I'm watching cooker temperature and learning the joys of temperature management. :grin: And all of you get to ride along for better or worse. :tongue:

great so far

make sure you only add hot splits. Heat them on top of the firebox until they are before you add them

Sometimes I even put a split in the fire box away from the fire to get it real hot before adding it

Nice! Is the brisket on the cooking grate down by the stack? Or did you add another grate down over the tuning plates for it to cook on?
DSC_6967-PP.JPG

make sure you only add hot splits. Heat them on top of the firebox until they are before you add them
Thanks for the tip. Edit: I'll do that going forward. The last splits I added produced very little smoke and now the smoke is barely visible. That wood is pretty dry.

Never heard of anyone smoking with box elder before. I hope the wood is more useful than the trees, because they suck as trees. Let us know how it goes.

Never heard of anyone smoking with box elder before. I hope the wood is more useful than the trees, because they suck as trees. Let us know how it goes.
Box elder is actually a variety of maple, not really an elder at all. I've used it before for smoking in my WSM and it works fine.

I would watch your temp real close on the deflector end. Its gonna get real hot

If it were me I would shove the brisket over to the right and put a loaf size foil pan of water at the deflector end to help with that.

Is it done yet?

:becky:
:rolleyes: I wasn't even going to open it for hours except...

I would watch your temp real close on the deflector end. Its gonna get real hot

If it were me I would shove the brisket over to the right and put a loaf size foil pan of water at the deflector end to help with that.
:doh: I had planned to do that! Thanks for the reminder.

The end closest to the fire is running hotter.

:rolleyes: I wasn't even going to open it for hours except...

:doh: I had planned to do that! Thanks for the reminder.

The end closest to the fire is running hotter.

Turn the brisket around - have the flat end facing the hotter zone.

Why is that? I thought the thicker section should be at the hot end. (What Franklin recommended.)

that is how I have always done it (point toward the hot end)

But BBQ Bandit has a ton more experience with brisket than I do.

I would like to know the reason as well

I would think Point towards the fire also.. but i am a relatively new brisket cooker.. BBQ Bandit and Bludawg are the resident brisket experts

Here's a mod you don't hear about very often. Remove the chimney, and weld the gap between the flange and the chimney, closed. It really helped level out temps in my NBBD. I had originally used JB Weld, but it eventually failed.

Looking forward to how your brisket turns out.

Matt

Back