MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #31
Zak
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandJbuidasmoker View Post
That's awesome! I have a 275 tank also, I was think of cutting it in half and using it for the fire box. You think that would be ok?
No way would i use such thin steel for a firebox. Mine is 1/4" thick with firebicks on the bottom. Those tanks are only about 1/8" which is about as thin as i'd go for a cooking chamber. If you used it for a firebox that metal would warp like crazy. The chimney does come out the side and it's removable so when i trailer it somewhere, i pull the stack out, toss it in the bed of my truck and off i go. I need to get a newer pic since i've had some minor changes over the years.

Zak is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #32
JandJbuidasmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Okay, guess that firebox idea is out! I have seen some oval shaped fireboxes out there. Wonder what they are made of? I could always use your idea. (copy cat) lol
JandJbuidasmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #33
JandJbuidasmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Hey DHQ, can you take a closer pic of the front of your firebox? Are those vents at the bottom and the 3 circles are adjustable?

Old 02-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #34
Zak
Full Fledged Farker

It really comes down to what you have for equipment and ability, plus time. You could fabricate one to your specs or try to build one out of other materials, ie propane tank. The one in the pic is 24"x24"x24" and is way more than enough to keep my smoker at 350°. You may want to go a little bigger since you have more area to heat up, but not much bigger. The floor of the firebox is lined with firebricks and i used a fireplace grate so the ashes have a place to go.
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #35
JandJbuidasmoker
Full Fledged Farker

What about using 55 gallon barrels cut in half vertically, then placed cut side down with holes cut out. Can you use that as tunning plates?

Old 02-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #36
JandJbuidasmoker
Full Fledged Farker

How accurate is the calculator?

Old 02-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #37
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

it has intakes seen bottom left on both sides.. screw on cap.. to close her off..

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)

Last edited by DownHomeQue; 05-26-2015 at 11:45 AM..
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #38
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

At work so can't take pics of it right now..

Old 02-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #39
thebbqkid
On the road to being a farker

Tuning plates are normally flat at least the ones that I have seen

Old 02-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #40
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandJbuidasmoker View Post
What about using 55 gallon barrels cut in half vertically, then placed cut side down with holes cut out. Can you use that as tunning plates?

Not ideal... ideally your tuning plates will be flat pieces at least 1/4 thick (thicker means it last longer.. and holds/Radiates heat better.. the barrell is rounded.. and you won't get the desired effect with it.. it will hamper air flow. Not ideal.. but i have never tried it..

Old 02-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #41
JandJbuidasmoker
Full Fledged Farker

that build is awesome!!!!!! it's going to help me so much!!! thank you!!! Any more details, and pics when you get home, please send them to me! I would like to talk to you over the phone to pick your brain aswell. let me know if that's ok, and I'll give you my number!

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #42
JandJbuidasmoker
Full Fledged Farker

ok, no drums then! I'll have to look for some scrap metal somewhere here in Terre Haute, Indiana

Old 02-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #43
JandJbuidasmoker
Full Fledged Farker

We will be starting on the 550 gallon smoker build this weekend! Still gathering materials, but plan on cutting and burning it atleast!

Old 02-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #44
Juggy D Beerman
Full Fledged Farker

Sorry if my words are going to offend you or anyone else who has contributed to this thread, but that is the way it goes.

What you are planning to do is very dangerous, ESPECIALLY if you have never done this before. Although diesel fuel is not as explosive as gasoline or propane, what you are doing is close to defusing a bomb! Now would you take first hand or second hand advice from the internet on how to safely defuse a bomb?

For every post that has been written in this thread on how to "safely" cut open a tank, I can tell you at least one way something can go wrong. Cutting open a tank with a torch or any device that introduces sparks inside the tank has killed and maimed more welders than any other welding process. This includes not only used tanks but unused tanks as well.

The only safe way to do this process takes two EXPERIENCED people. One to do the process and another with a monitor to make sure the inside environment has not reached an explosive level. As you cut the tank open, the gas levels change. Oxygen can displace the inert gas you have placed inside to prevent the tank from exploding. If your torch is not running properly, acetylene can accumulate inside the tank. The car exhaust idea can get you killed as well. If the car is not burning 100% of the gas, the exhaust itself can introduce explosive gases inside the tank.

My advice to you is to let a PROFESSIONAL do this!! They have the means and know how on how to do this safely. They can make a lot better cut than you can and it will make it easier for you to get the doors to seal properly. There will be plenty of cutting and welding to do after the tank has been cut open.

If you insist on doing this at home, at least do it out in the back yard away from the house. That way if tank does blow up, your widow will still have a nice garage.

Lager,

Juggy
Juggy D Beerman is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 03:43 PM   #45
JandJbuidasmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Thank you for the advice Juggy. I was planning filling it with dish soap and water, agitating and repeating until water runs clear. Then filling it back up, and cutting with a grinder. Next to having a professional do it, how's that sound???

Thanks for your help