MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
bretagard
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Smoking Pork Loin for Tailgate - Question

I am planning on smoking 16lbs of pork loin this weekend for a tailgate. My issue comes that we do not have a way this weekend to get a grill up to the game. I was thinking about smoking the meat in the smoker for part of the cooking time then putting the meat in a couple crock pots to finish he meat. I was going to use a crock pot liner with water under the liner set to warm or low temperature to try and not dry the meat out. Yes, I do have a couple crockpots I will be using. I am not planning to slice the pork until just before we actually go to eat it.

My issue is that if I smoke the meat and take it off the smoker about 7:30am, then plan to serve it around 11am, is this the best way to keep the pork loin warm, and possibly finish the cooking in the crock pot? Also, what would be the best temp to pull the meat off at in order to finish it in time for eating and not have dried out pork loin?
bretagard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I never cook a loin past 145 IT. If it was me I would cook it to 145 IT warp it in foil and into a preheated cooler packed with towels to take up the dead space. it will hold for 6-8 hrs like that.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
bretagard

Thanks for the reply. When you say a preheated cooler, please explain. Sorry for not knowing for sure, but want to make sure I fully understand what you are saying.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
bretagard

I did a search and found some tips. Thanks.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I never cook a loin past 145 IT. If it was me I would cook it to 145 IT warp it in foil and into a preheated cooler packed with towels to take up the dead space. it will hold for 6-8 hrs like that.
THIS ^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretagard View Post
Thanks for the reply. When you say a preheated cooler, please explain. Sorry for not knowing for sure, but want to make sure I fully understand what you are saying.
Pour hot water in a cooler and let that sit until you're ready to put the meat in. Pour out the cooler and put foil & towel wrapped loins in preheated cooler.