MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
Ryan Chester
is One Chatty Farker

Default Santa Maria Style TRI-TIP & Potato w/ Competition Style Corn

Made my weekly Tri-Tip dinner last night. The Tri-Tip was rubbed with The Rub Co. Santa Maria Style Rub. The potato I cut slices in, hit it with some butter and Santa Maria Style Rub, wrapped in foil and tossed in the oven. I gave the corn a nice dusting of The Rub Co. Competition Style Rub and tossed on the grill.

I cook my tri-tips direct until I get a nice crust on both sides and then move indirect for the rest of the cook if need be. I shoot for 130* internal and let rest for at least 10 minutes under foil before cutting. I personally don't do a reverse sear because you can easily overshoot your target temp if your not careful. In addition, you might not be able to build a nice crust if you start searing too late. Right, wrong, or indifferent, that's my $0.02.

Thanks from:--->

Old 08-13-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Now there's an idea "weekly Tri-Tip dinner!!" That looks like some good eats right there!!

Ryan, your rubs are next up on my "must try" list. Gonna have to pick up some of the Santa Maria, as I do love me some tri-tip also!!

Dang, I'm hungry now!!!
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2010, 11:25 AM   #3
wlh3
is One Chatty Farker

Very nice tri tip. Love what you did to the corn and the potatoes. Great meal great job
UDS #2 is done and cooking
Walker

I BBQ because it is just so PRIMAL
wlh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice groceries, Ryan!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
chambersuac

FANtasTIC!!!!

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2010, 11:48 AM   #6
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Now THAT's what I'm shooting for! Hopefully my version 3.0 will hit your mark. Thanks for the info.
I'm mixed on the reverse sear also, I like being able to creep your way up to your target temp and nail it. Not sure how I'll do the next one. Excellent post!
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #7
J_Don
is One Chatty Farker

Just got your Co. email this morning displaying your new rubs and will be ordering some especially the santa maria and the competition. Haven't tried Tri Tip yet but will be looking for one this weekend.
Kenmore Elite Gasser w/ Rotisserie
Cajun Cooker (3)
UDS In Progress
[COLOR=#0000ff]BLUESMAN[/COLOR] Splashproof [COLOR=#0000ff]BLUE [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen :bow:[/COLOR]
H D FXSTD
J_Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #8
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I agree. Absolutely fantastic!

Old 08-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #9
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Looks like you nailed that Tri tip. I think I know what one dinner will be this weekend......

Old 08-13-2010, 12:20 PM   #10
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

YUM Looks perfect
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2010, 12:21 PM   #11
Wampus

Great lookin meat, there.
Yup.....THAT's what I'm doin' tomorrow for sure.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:36 PM   #12
DaChief
Babbling Farker

Hmmmm, haven't had Tri-Tip in a while. Gotta get some after seeing that. Nice job!

BGE Large
WSM
Weber One-Touch Gold
Weber Go-Anywhere
Turkey Fryer

"Go on! Shoot me again! I enjoy it! I love the smell of burnt feathers and gunpowder and cordite!"
-- Daffy Duck
DaChief is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2010, 01:37 PM   #13
Ryan Chester
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks guys, dinner was thoroughly enjoyed! Growing up I probably had tri-tip once every couple weeks for dinner (sometimes more), now I cook it for my family every week or two and never get sick of it. I don't know what it is about that cut but it is FARKING GOOD!!!!

Old 08-13-2010, 04:06 PM   #14
HB-BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Man that looks really good Ryan...I need to get an order sent over for some of that santa maria rub as well as the others. I was wondering how the vertical cooker is holding up for you. Did you figure out any mods for it?
HB-BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2010, 04:14 PM   #15
Ryan Chester
is One Chatty Farker

Rob - The closest store to you who sells our rub is Brees Meats in Garden Grove off Valley View and Chapman. The vertical works good! I put a clay tile on top of the heat deflector and raised the charcoal basket which helped a lot. I am cooking tri-tip and pulled pork tomorrow at Tanaka Farms in Irvine so I'll plug it into the trailer hitch and take her with!