Internal Color of Brisket (not the smoke ring)

S60

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I noticed that at a few of the top brisket restaurants, when they slice open a brisket, the meat is not gray/brown. Rather it is white/pink. I grabbed a few screen captures from Franklin and a shot from an underground bbq joint in LA. I am not looking at the pink smoke ring. I am looking at the meat under the smoke ring.

When I smoke brisket, the meat looks gray/brown when first sliced. I have a pellet smoker, cook at 275 with water pan, and wrap in paper after 6 hours or so, and cook for another 2-3 hours until 200'ish and tender. Rest for about 1 hour. I use choice or prime, whatever Sam's or Costco in Atlanta has in stock at the time.

Does anyone know why these briskets, which are presumably cooked to 200 degrees, still have white/pink meat when sliced? Is it the wood smoke? Is it nitrates? I doubt Franklin uses nitrates. Is it an overnight dry brine (salt the brisket the day before)? Thanks for your thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_6296.jpg
    IMG_6296.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_6297.jpg
    IMG_6297.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_6299.jpg
    IMG_6299.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_6300.jpg
    IMG_6300.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_6305.jpg
    IMG_6305.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_6309.jpg
    IMG_6309.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 200
I know brisket is very hard to photograph mostly because most cameras don't catch the true white balance so the color won't be true. Also moist brisket can look dry in a photo.

Meat color has a lot to do with the amount of myoglobin, so for example when you break down a cooked pork butt you will see slight color changes in the horn muscles around the blade bone, and the center of the roast. The picnic end of a pork shoulder has some noticeably darker muscles too. Feed and breed also can influence the color of the meat. An injection can also change the meat color.

I went thru most of my old pics. Seems like most are lighter in color. Only a few are grey or brown. Most noticeably brown was the wagyu. That brisket turned brown as I sliced. I couldn't get 1 pic that wasn't brown.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last brisket I cooked was slightly pink-ish all the way through. I have no idea why. It was the first time I remember that happening. I did season it the night before cooking, but I've done that many times before.

Back