MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:03 AM   #1
vchris314
Got Wood.

Question Brisket questions

Hello Bretheren!

I have a brisket that I am going to cook soon and I have some problems.

My goal is to have it ready for lunch tomorrow. Bludawg's method dictates that I should start the smoker at about 3:00am tomorrow and put the brisket on at about 4:00am. The problem is that I need my beauty () sleep and that may not be possible.

Would it be possible to start today with a four hour stretch of smoke and then finish it tomorrow in the oven at 200? Or is this just a bad idea and I should just get up at two and do it right?

The smoker is going to have fatties and meatloaf tomorrow for lunch. Yes, I am planning a party.

I await your wisdom, o masters of the hokey smoke.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

get up early

you are no beauty and no amount of sleep will help
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #3
Cloudsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

For larger cooks. I've been cooking my briskets and butts the night before. Leave them wrapped and in Cambro all night, sometimes reheat at low temp following day. Coming out moist, a little fall-apart, but nobody complains.

Sometimes the key to a good party is a happy cook/host. Sleep helps a lot.

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #4
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

I say suck it up, get up at two and do it right. I wouldn't want to fark with something I am planning on serving at a party. Put the brisket on, grab a cup of coffee and enjoy the peace and quiet. Then everyone at the party will admire your dedication to bbq because you woke up at 2 to cook for them!

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatfield-and-McCoy-Barbecue/765488903565575"]Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue[/URL] - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; [COLOR="Sienna"]U[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]D[/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"]S[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Blue"]DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]; [COLOR="DarkOrange"]IQ120[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Gray"]CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years)[/COLOR]; Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

[URL="http://bbqbeat.com/hatfield-and-mccoy-bbq-team/"]We're (kinda) famous![/URL]
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2014, 09:25 AM   #5
Smokesignalsfromtx
is one Smokin' Farker

Good BBQ is not a convienence thing! Either get up early, or change your dinner plans.

OR........

Use the crock pot.............
Backwoods Party G2, Backwoods Chubby G2, Weber OTG 22.5 (Homer series, RIP), Weber OTG 22.5, WSM 22.5, WSM 18.5, Weber Jumbo Joe, Weber Smokey Joe, Guru DX2 (X3), Insainly [B][I]Fast[/I][/B] [B][I][COLOR="Red"]RED[/COLOR][/I][/B] THERMOPEN MK4, Super, Duper [I][B]Fast[/B][/I] [COLOR=red][B][I]RED[/I][/B][/COLOR] THERMOPEN, Maverick 732,733, Weber S-330, Blackstone Flat Grill, Brinkman Electric Gourmet(X2) "The Twins"

Rick
Smokesignalsfromtx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #6
New Pal Frank
is one Smokin' Farker

^^^^^ or look for a good microwave recipe.
Husband & Wife Team (so far)

[B][I][COLOR=magenta][U]Hug Hogs Competition BBQ Team[/U] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=black][U]New Palestine IN[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B]
New Pal Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2014, 09:46 AM   #7
bacchus99
Full Fledged Farker

What kind of cooker? Does it require any fiddling or can you sleep while it cooks. I have a WSM and if it were me I'd put it on at 10 or 11 the night before at 240F and wake up around 6 and check on it. Maybe wrap then or let it go naked then rest 2 hours. Doesn't really matter how you cook it...just make sure it is probe tender in the thickest part of the flat and you're good.

We did a bludawg brisket last weekend at the hunting camp on the BGE. 15lber on at 10:30AM and off at 5PM and eating at 7PM. I even sprang for burnt ends while the flat rested. Everyone said it was the best one we have done yet.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #8
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudsmoker View Post
For larger cooks. I've been cooking my briskets and butts the night before. Leave them wrapped and in Cambro all night, sometimes reheat at low temp following day. Coming out moist, a little fall-apart, but nobody complains.

Sometimes the key to a good party is a happy cook/host. Sleep helps a lot.
There ya go! I've done this many times as well as leaving the wrapped brisket in my kitchen oven at the lowest heat obtainable (about 170 I think) over night and then transferring it to a cooler full of towels the next morning.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:29 AM   #9
vchris314
Got Wood.

More details:

I have a CG Super Pro w/ side firebox. The grate temperature will be about 250F during the smoking phase (otherwise the fire will not burn cleanly). I also have to check the fuel every two hours otherwise it will burn out. The brisket had its point removed. It is about 9.5 - 10lbs.

Current plan: Start cooking it at about noon today and put it in the 170F oven wrapped overnight then toweled/cooler in the morning.

I am leaning to the 2AM thingy also. I can cat nap on the couch for a couple of hours at a time. If I get four hours of sleep and then cat nap through the rest of the night I should be ok.

Thank you to all for your advice!

Last edited by vchris314; 09-12-2014 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: spelling, corrections, further blathering.
vchris314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2014, 04:10 PM   #10
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchris314 View Post
More details:

I have a CG Super Pro w/ side firebox. The grate temperature will be about 250F during the smoking phase (otherwise the fire will not burn cleanly). I also have to check the fuel every two hours otherwise it will burn out. The brisket had its point removed. It is about 9.5 - 10lbs.

Current plan: Start cooking it at about noon today and put it in the 170F oven wrapped overnight then toweled/cooler in the morning.

I am leaning to the 2AM thingy also. I can cat nap on the couch for a couple of hours at a time. If I get four hours of sleep and then cat nap through the rest of the night I should be ok.

Thank you to all for your advice!
you need to do some work on that CG. My Bhuela runs along at 300-350 puttin off the Sweet blue with a box full of my hard oak.
I'm going ta tell you straight off don't cook a Bludawg Brisket if you aint cookin above 275 at a minimun or you will under cook it. it is designed to work at an average temp of 300.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:54 AM   #11
vchris314
Got Wood.

Thumbs up The morning of the party

Thank you Bludawg!

I see that you added a couple of feet to the chimney, I wil try that. I added a bit of vent on the inside to the chimney to bring it down to the grate but I didn't see much of a difference. I ran the smoke with the ash tray open about an inch or two and the temperature was about 250-275F throughout the smoking portion of the cook. Maybe I need to find some hard oak to try. This winter will probably give me time to rebuild my CG (the hardware stores in the area have had sales on the firebox - $49!)

I went with the option of smoking it yesterday for six hours using mesquite as the primary fuel and smoke source. For secondary fuel I used some cowboy lump that I had around the house (it was REALLY cheap at the hardware store). When I pulled the brisket off the smoker it was getting probe tender. I put it in an oven roasting pan and into the 170F oven with half a cup of water. This morning the brisket was tender (like a hot samuri sword through a warm tub of cheap margerine) and very juicy. It also had a very nice (but still subtle) taste of mesquite - something that I as praying for because the first half of the bag of mesquite produced some very heavy mesquite taste....not what I wanted.

And to all that want pictures, they are coming. I first want to feed the crowd.

Any ideas for a bigger controllable air intake on the firebox?

Tags
brisket, split cooking times