MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:55 AM   #16
phil c
Full Fledged Farker

Great info! I love currys but have never gone past some very simple things. Really looking forward to lesson #2
phil c is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 08-31-2012, 10:55 AM   #17
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

Great tutorial Bucc! This looks fantastic and can't wait to give it a try. I'll be checking the local asian market to see if they have fresh curry leaves.
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2012, 12:20 PM   #18
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Very nice tutorial Buccas, that is a good curry and I like that you explained the seed toasting process. I am too danged lazy to do all of that normally. But, I do prefer the curry done this way to one using paste or powder.

Curry leaves that are fresh are annoyingly hard to procure around here. Sadly, the nearest Indian/Pakistani market is 35 miles from me. I can get some from time to time at one of the Asian markets though.

I will add, if you think you like curry, you have to try this. There is no comparison between fresh roasted seeds and fresh herbs and the stuff you get from a jar or can. And most restaurants, you can tell, do not use fresh roasted spices. I would say that 95% of Indian restaurants make a good curry, just like 95% of BBQ restaurants make the best BBQ you have ever had. Literally, that much of a difference.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #19
GARNAAL
is one Smokin' Farker

Default and here a different one - my Chicken curry in a D.O.

a "just about everything from the Chicken Curry"

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bwoj...xZDdiNDI2/edit
GARNAAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2012, 12:58 PM   #20
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Awesome tutorial Thanks
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2012, 01:07 PM   #21
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARNAAL View Post
a "just about everything from the Chicken Curry"

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bwoj...xZDdiNDI2/edit
Man, that is one weird curry recipe, seeing the soy sauce and S&B, that has to be Hawaiian in origin.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 08-31-2012, 01:08 PM   #22
LM600
Full Fledged Farker

Nice one Bucc!

Also, we can cook tikka, shashlik, sheek kebabs and kofte on the grill....I usually throw a few chicken breasts on the grill then vac. pack purely for using in curries.
LM600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2012, 01:40 PM   #23
GARNAAL
is one Smokin' Farker

Talking some kind of Indo/Chinese I think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Man, that is one weird curry recipe, seeing the soy sauce and S&B, that has to be Hawaiian in origin.
Actually I got this recipe from a Dutch Lady who spent a lot of time in Indonesia (husband worked for Shell there..) - she said her cook there made this frequently - she had a handwritten piece of paper with the ingredients..

if you like chicken liver - try it - it's very tasty with some rice !!
GARNAAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2012, 01:55 PM   #24
landarc

Interesting, most folks who are really into authentic curries laugh at S&B, although, I use it, as it is what I got used to for Japanese Chicken Curry. Most of the Thai, Indonesian and Indian cooks I have talked with find it too sweet and the flavor far too mild. Still, I can see where I would like it, except I don't care for chicken livers normally.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 08-31-2012, 02:20 PM   #25
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Fantastic tutorial, Bucc! You did yourself proud, and I'm so happy you decided to go for it!
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2012, 02:53 PM   #26
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

Outstanding tutorial Buccs!

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2012, 03:03 PM   #27
Cast Iron Chef
is One Chatty Farker

Excellent write up. I love curry. Use it as often as possible but not to your level.
22.5" Weber One Touch Platinum
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Genesis[/COLOR] 3 Gasser
Bradley [/COLOR][/SIZE]Bisquette[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000] Pooper
Bullpen BBQ Team
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Cast Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2012, 03:54 PM   #28
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

What an awesome tutorial, bucc!!

If I may add one small tip - when you add the spices to the tomato onion mix, stir things around until you see the oil separate a little from the paste. Hard to describe but you will notice the change - from being somewhat homogenous, you will see the oil just ooze a bit from the paste if you stop stirring briefly. For some reason, I love the taste of turmeric, so most of my dishes have 1/2-3/4 tsp in them, thrown in with the other spices. It must be sauteed well, or else you can taste the raw turmeric.

And there are ways to cheat!! When I'm done with making the sauce and about to add the meat, I sometimes move everything over to the crockpot It works well for that part of the cook. Also, in India every household has at least 1 pressure cooker which is commonly used to make dal, beans, certain types of rice, and many meat dishes.

Thanks for posting this!
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2012, 04:18 PM   #29
buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdwalker View Post
Anyone have an idea where to get the curry leaves? Is there a subsitute?
There is no substitute...but when you find them, buy up big and freeze packs of them so you have them on hand!
The smell and taste is startling to unfamiliar palates and TFO liked it halfway through her first curry decades ago but when I first came across them it took me 3 or 4 meals before I was into them.
Unique flavor

Old 08-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #30
buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
What an awesome tutorial, bucc!!

If I may add one small tip - when you add the spices to the tomato onion mix, stir things around until you see the oil separate a little from the paste. Hard to describe but you will notice the change - from being somewhat homogenous, you will see the oil just ooze a bit from the paste if you stop stirring briefly. For some reason, I love the taste of turmeric, so most of my dishes have 1/2-3/4 tsp in them, thrown in with the other spices. It must be sauteed well, or else you can taste the raw turmeric.

And there are ways to cheat!! When I'm done with making the sauce and about to add the meat, I sometimes move everything over to the crockpot It works well for that part of the cook. Also, in India every household has at least 1 pressure cooker which is commonly used to make dal, beans, certain types of rice, and many meat dishes.

Thanks for posting this!
That advice is sound for a paste frying step but isn't going to happen here, caliking.
The masala will not absorb the oil or release it because of the liquid volume .
The plan I have for the following curries this step will be essential, but not for this one.
If these new curry makers stand watching and waiting for that to happen the liquid will reduce too much and won't have the volume to support the meat cooking process, you see?

Slow cookers like the crock pot do work fine, but I never use them because the aroma of the curry is torture!
One point I didn't mention....just like some other foods like chili, a curry will enhance if left a day before eating.
I know, that requires the self discipline of a superman, and I can't do it...but make enough so that you have lots for the following day, you will be so happy you did!