Fried Bananas w/ Pig Candy and Bourbon Caramel Sauce

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
A YouTube posting two days ago on the Blackstone channel convinced me that I had to give this a try.

Fried Bananas w/ Maple Crusted Bacon and Bourbon Maple Brown Sugar Caramel Sauce

I know, one heck of a long title for a dessert. And I didn't even mention the Vanilla ice cream. Here goes.

The ingredients -

Get the bacon going on the Blackstone -

Yep, just about done. This will get coated with a Brown sugar/Cinnamon/Cayenne pepper mix-

In the meantime indoors the makings of the caramel sauce are starting. Brown sugar and Maple syrup getting warm -

The bacon coated with the Brown Sugar, Cinnamon and Cayenne, needs to harden a bit -

Back out on the griddle, bananas are frying away in the bacon grease -

Add the Bourbon to the Caramel Sauce and flambe -

Bananas are ready to be plated with the rest of the fixin's -

Caramel Sauce reducing after burning off the Bourbon -

Plated Pics -

This was fun to make, I'm glad Mrs lunchman was assisting with some of the indoor prep work as I was running back and forth to the griddle. She commented that this was on the order of a 5 Star restaurant dessert and I have to agree with her. Something I'd not normally make but turned out to be fairly easy and the results well worth it.

Thanks for reading this post.

Regards,
-lunchman

I think I gained 5 lbs just looking at the photos.

In all seriousness, CINCHOUSE almost issued an edict that this is to be.... in the near future.

Any chance you'd be so kind as to post a link to that video/recipe?

Yours looks simply awesome!

wow all day every day on that. looks awesome. care to post the recipe for the bourbon caramel sauce?

wow all day every day on that. looks awesome. care to post the recipe for the bourbon caramel sauce?

Its sort of in the YouTube video though I just realized there's no actual recipe posted with it. Chef Nate mentioned equal parts brown sugar and bourbon, I pretty much winged it.

I'd guess I used about a cup of dark brown sugar, followed with perhaps a third or half cup of maple syrup, let that cook for a while. It was almost getting too thick as it was heating so I added a few splashes of water to thin it a bit. As for the bourbon, I just poured till the consistency seemed right but perhaps a cup to match the amount of brown sugar. I do a lot of cooking by feel and if it looks right I'm good with it.

My wife was concerned I'd set the kitchen on fire with the flambe, but it was all under control. :biggrin1:

-Dom

OMG I think I am in Love

Yeah, I was looking at it with the same emotions after I plated it, George! My wife asked if I was just gonna take a million pictures of it, meantime she was half done with hers before I'd even dug in. By that time the caramel had hardened over the ice cream and the results were outstanding.

Give it a go, super easy to make and setting things on fire is always fun.

Holy cow! That looks amazing! This one is definitely going on the list of recipies I need to try

Wow! definitely not showing this thread to my wife... All I can say is that looks AMAZING!

Back