Ham is done and it's Tasty Too! Pr0n

CharredApron

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I started a 20lb fresh ham in a brine consisting of the following ingredients.

3 Gallons Water
4.5 Cups Kosher Salt
6 Cups Dark Brown Sugar
4.5 Oz's Pink Salt
Into a 5 Gallon Home Depot Bucket Sterilized

Trimmed off the skin and injected it with about 3 cups of the brine, particularly around the bone after I removed the Ache Bone. I left the Shank intact. Into the brine while I went off to France. When I returned 15 days later I removed it from the brine rinsed with fresh clear water and dried it off and put it back in the walk-in to chill and develop a nice pellicle for the smoke to adhere to.

Rubbed her down with some yellow mustard and coated it with Santa Maria Seasoning from our good friends at Oakridge BBQ.

Popped it onto my Kamado set-up indirect at 275 With Jack Daniels Whiskey Barrel Chips for smoke and a drip pan for some Redeye gravy. It looked lonely so I introduced it to a naked fatty to keep it company. The crumbled fatty later went into Brother Wampus's famous Peach Bourbon Smoked Beans. Thanks again Wampus.

4 hours in she started looking tasty, I made up a mop of Apple Cider, Apple Cider Vinegar, and Worcestershire Sauce to keep her from drying out too fast.

Once the IT reached 160 I pulled her off and scored the fatcap so the glaze would seep in and hold. The glaze was 2 cups of Brown Sugar, 1/2 cup white Karo Syrup, 1/2 Cup Sue Bee Honey, 2 Tablespoons of Colemans Dry Mustard, and 2 Cups of old #7 Jack Daniels Sour Mash. Brought everything to a low roil and whisked it all up and set it aside to cool while I sliced a fresh Pineapple and some Maraschino Cherries.

And back to the smoker to finish off at an internal temperature of 170 degrees. Rested on the counter.

Happy Thanksgiving to all and thanks for lookin, and I'll keep on Cookin! :loco:

Jed

Damn now that's a fine lookin ham brother :thumb:

I can only imagine the flavor!

(wipes up drool off the table)

What is the ache bone and wont injecting it with that brine make it really salty. Is 15 days the normal time needed in brine BTW that looks absolutely awesome :thumb::thumb::hungry:

What is the ache bone and wont injecting it with that brine make it really salty. Is 15 days the normal time needed in brine BTW that looks absolutely awesome :thumb::thumb::hungry:
It's a small piece of bone in front of the ball joint that the shank attaches to. There is a slight risk of the joint breaking down and contaminating the meat nearby. The best way to eliminate that is simply to remove it exposing the ball end of the shank. The brine does not taste salty and being away for 2 weeks I had to trust that the cure would preserve everything which it did beautifully. Last ham I did at Easter was only brined a week which produced inconsistent results. Some of the meat was a hamier color if you will. Thanks For Looking George. Happy Thanksgiving too!

That's all I had so they had to do. Some of the color came off them and ran onto the pineapple but whats a brother to do! Thanks and Happy Thankgiving to you.
Jed

Yep. That's what I'm dealing with. Thought I had regular, but when I looked, the only toothpicks to be found in the pantry were the fancy ones.

Oh. And, Jed? Fantastic looking hunk of pig you got there. :thumb::thumb:

Very nice ham there! I'm smoking one right now - I hope it turns out in the same league as yours!

I'll remember about the aitch bone for next time. :oops:

Back