Visit to My Old Favorite BBQ - Brethren Beware

It's hard to keep passion going when a bbq place sell to a new owner. I am sure that's what happened here. Also the reason Aaron Franklin said he would never franchise. There's no way to replicate what he created at his first joint.

It's hard to keep passion going when a bbq place sell to a new owner. I am sure that's what happened here. Also the reason Aaron Franklin said he would never franchise. There's no way to replicate what he created at his first joint.
John Lewis did a pretty good job. Some might say he improved on some things...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

We had one local BBQ place close down but another one opened up and they are very good. They also compete and the place is filled with trophy's and plaques that they have won.

They have some of the best turkey breast I have ever ate. I wish I knew their process and what they put on it.

Is that Hog Tied BBQ?

We go out for BBQ occasionally, and there is some great Que around here.

This was on a whim since I’m never close to there and happened to be over there.

Supersmokers lost sight of what they wanted to be.
They were a great BBQ place and then decided it was better to sell sauce and TShirts than make quality BBQ. Sad.

Still some great BBQ in St. Louis

Pappy's
Bogart's
Sugarfire
Salt + Smoke
BEAST
Dalie's

Right now I'm love the Mangia Bene at Smokee Mo's - brisket on garlic cheese bread with white sauce.

The original Dreamland BBQ in Tuscaloosa is famous for their ribs. They were served with white bread only. A sign hung that proclaimed "No sides, don't ask". After the founder died his children took over and expanded. Last year a new, huge location opened near my home on the busiest hwy around, prime real estate. My son and I gave it a try. The ribs were totally tasteless. They also now have sides and other entrees. The only good part of the meal was the bread dipped in their sauce and the beer. At the urging of some friends I went back a few months later but the results were the same.

My guess is that since nothing but heavy white smoke pours out of the chimney, it is just for looks, to draw the unaware in. They are probably cooking on a commercial gas unit with a few sticks added.

Its too bad, the old man was a legend.

Since I haven't been able to BBQ for a while I've visited several places around the Dallas - Fort Worth area to get my fix. Some are okay some not so good.

The one my wife and I keep going back to is Slow Bone in Dallas. Their brisket is good and they have very good side dishes (that's what the wife likes).

I believe they use an Oyler pit and everything we've had there has been good. At least it satisfies the craving... But still I am looking forward to getting the Doc's okay to start cooking outside again..

They went to hell....Never been back for mucho long time. Too expensive and not that good.. Just saying..

It certainly doesn't help that the more you know about some things, the less you enjoy them. "Loss of innocence", so to speak. Since joining up on this forum, I've learned a lot about BBQ, and a lot of the places I used to like, just aren't that good to me now. I now know what a brisket should be. I know about the trick to slice a tough brisket really thin. Knowing about these things has taught me what to look for, and it's lessened my enjoyment of some of the BBQ places I enjoyed even a year ago. I'm actually afraid to revisit Hard Eight and discover if it's still as good as I remembered.

BUT We might try Hard 8 (New location coming in Burleson) if they ever get done building it......... cleared the Lot over a Year Ago.......looks kinda like a Bldg. now......

I work by the one in Coppel. It is probably my favorite BBQ restaurant. Having said that I do admit to not frequenting many places. Like many on here I prefer to cook my own bbq but Hard 8 for lunch is hard to beat.

I’ve been to the Original one in Stephenville a few times - always Pretty Good......

I worked for a company in Roanoke and ate at the one there a handful of times.

Being a California boy to me it was good Texas BBQ but I would defer to others as the final judge.

Ive ate at several other BBQ joints in the DFW general area and even San Angelo and I would say Hard 8 was the best of them. In fact i couldnt tell you the names at any of the other places in DFW.

I make Pretty Decent Q but I don’t know if I could Hold it and keep it Fresh and Good all day in a restaurant.....:twitch:

I think this is the main problem with a lot of places. I used to live 100 yards from a open pit, whole hog bbq stand. most of the time I would drive somewhere else to eat because the meat would be cool to cold on the sandwich, and just not very good. The few times that I got it straight from the pit, it was some of the best ever.
I tried a new place in town last week. The pork had good smoke and flavor, but it was kinda mushy and watery. I wanted to tell the owner he needed to work on his holding practices, but they were busy so I just left.

Back