MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:11 AM   #1
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default BGE Questions; Lg vs XLG

I really am leaning toward an EGG and need some of you expert’s advice.

Went by BBQ Galore yesterday and checked out the XLG and have a few questions.

Sorry if these are dumb questions.

On the XLG, the setup was, the Fire Box then the Fire Ring, on top of it set the Plate Setter. The cooking grate is only about 2" from the plate Setter. No place for a drip pan.

What about placing the Plate Setter between the Fire Box and the Fire Ring? Is that how it is supposed to be setup? This would give plenty room for a drip pan.

I know a lot of you have the LG and stack your meat with racks.

It is about $320.00 less for the LG. $780.00 LG $1100.00 XLG

If you were buying a first EGG would you go for the XLG? Pro's and any Con's?

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

You can still use a drip pan on an XL... it just has to be really shallow.

I had a large then sold it and got an XL. I ended up trading the XL for another large. I just like the way it cooks better and the extra versatility the taller dome gives you. I think you can get just as much in a large with two racks as you can on an XL. Plus the XL is a fuel hog compared to the large.

I know several who have gotten an XL and absolutely love it. For me it just wasn't what I wanted.

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
thillin

I heard the same as above about fuel consumption. You can use a deep dish pizza pan for a drip pan. It's about an inch deep. I usually recomend a large. Lots of eggcessories. The XL did have a few flaws that I think was worked out. Tom (TJV) makes a cool eggcessory for the XL.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
CaptGrumpy
is one Smokin' Farker

If you are wanting an XL then get one. There are a few items available to cure your issue.
http://www.eggaccessories.com/xl.html
You can do alot with an XL and just as much & even more with a large IMHO.
I will be shopping & looking for an XL to add to my fleet but I might have to wait for next year's EggsByTheBay Eggfest for a demo if I don't find one on craigslist or the egghead forum first.
You are only limited by your imagination with what can be done with an egg.

[COLOR=red]Red Thermapen & Red Guru DigiQII[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkgreen]Large Big Green Egg[/COLOR] [SIZE=1][COLOR=yellowgreen]adopted 25MAR08[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR=darkgreen]Small Big Green Egg[/COLOR] [SIZE=1][COLOR=yellowgreen]adopted 01JUN08[/COLOR][/SIZE]
CaptGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2008, 01:14 AM   #5
Midnight Smoke

Been in Phoenix for a couple days in meetings, Slow response from me. Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
You can still use a drip pan on an XL... it just has to be really shallow.

I had a large then sold it and got an XL. I ended up trading the XL for another large. I just like the way it cooks better and the extra versatility the taller dome gives you. I think you can get just as much in a large with two racks as you can on an XL. Plus the XL is a fuel hog compared to the large.

I know several who have gotten an XL and absolutely love it. For me it just wasn't what I wanted.
I see the difference between the large and the XLG, Higher dome. Why do you think the large cooks better, better air flow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thillin View Post
I heard the same as above about fuel consumption. You can use a deep dish pizza pan for a drip pan. It's about an inch deep. I usually recomend a large. Lots of eggcessories. The XL did have a few flaws that I think was worked out. Tom (TJV) makes a cool eggcessory for the XL.
Need to look at it again, it really was a small space between. I am not to worried about eggcessories right now with the X, I think they will come. I asked about the problems and was told most had been worked out, it does have a LT warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGrumpy View Post
If you are wanting an XL then get one. There are a few items available to cure your issue.
http://www.eggaccessories.com/xl.html
You can do alot with an XL and just as much & even more with a large IMHO.
I will be shopping & looking for an XL to add to my fleet but I might have to wait for next year's EggsByTheBay Eggfest for a demo if I don't find one on craigslist or the egghead forum first.
You are only limited by your imagination with what can be done with an egg.
You are a Egg Expert I believe, Thanks!

Can you answer about placement of the Plate Setter location, would that work?

Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Old 06-06-2008, 01:21 AM   #6
Norcoredneck

I'd go with large. Lot's more Eggcessories. You can also do a nice table set up, where an XL you would have to start with a pool table.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2008, 02:07 AM   #7
CaptGrumpy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Smoker View Post
Can you answer about placement of the Plate Setter location, would that work?
Are you asking about the clearance issue? I would use a cookie sheet that has lower edges so clearance isn't an issue. I also wrap my pans in foil so I don't have to deal with scrubbing them clean on the inside or outside/bottom. I have two larges and I am curious about the XL. I have a few friends that have them and they are babes in the woods & still learning. I try to help them out with suggestions the best I can. You can stack grills better in the large and definitely cook for a bunch of folks on it as well as the XL. It is all about preference and what you can afford. Personally, I would pull the trigger on a large since it is your first egg and this is an easy set up to get started on. The large is their most popular model (for a reason).
If going to BBQ Galore, negotiate a package deal from them. They should be able to accomodate a discount for such a large sale(hint from friend at BBQG).

[COLOR=red]Red Thermapen & Red Guru DigiQII[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkgreen]Large Big Green Egg[/COLOR] [SIZE=1][COLOR=yellowgreen]adopted 25MAR08[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR=darkgreen]Small Big Green Egg[/COLOR] [SIZE=1][COLOR=yellowgreen]adopted 01JUN08[/COLOR][/SIZE]
CaptGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2008, 05:23 AM   #8
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

[QUOTE=Pork Smoker;656153]Why do you think the large cooks better, better air flow?/QUOTE]

I meant that I LIKE the way it cooks better. I really can't explain it, but they do cook differently. I think it is a combination of the dome being lower and the fire being closer on the bottom side.

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2008, 05:53 AM   #9
Rick's Tropical Delight

that xl is one HEAVY beast!

for me, i prefer the large because it's easier for me to move by myself.

i've only cooked on an xl once, but i think the large cooks different because of the ratio of the distance from the lump to the dome to the diameter of the firebox.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:57 AM   #10
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

They probably do cook differently, but I have an XL and haven't cooked on the large. For clearance, that's easy; put the platesetter between the firebox and firering, then grate on top. Or leave the firering out completely and put beer can chickens on the platesetter. I haven't yet had an issue with clearance, and I have almost double the capacity of the large.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #11
tjv
Full Fledged Farker

I have the large and xl but more experience with the large. I've made pieces to help elevate grids and expand cook capacity for both cookers, so may need to consider my thoughts as atypical.

On the xl, I do single grid low and slow cooks 4.5 inches above the fire ring. I find it performs better than the large this way. Temps across the grid are more consistant and it seems I get better bark formation. Grilling on the xl can have issues....big cooker for small cooks. I used my large lump bucket to shrink the xl size down on my first grilling. It's an idea that works but you would still need to mess with the lump already in the egg.

If you are not doing large cooks or grilling often, the large is the cooker of choice. It has the biggest following and most accessories. The only issue with the large can be ribs and brisket packers, getting stable temps across the entire meat.

My recommendation is if you planning to use it for long low and slows and large grillings, then the XL is your ticket. Or, small cooks with limited low and slows, then the large for sure. If somewhere in the middle, welcome to a decison most have to make.

T
tjv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2008, 11:35 AM   #12
Midnight Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjv View Post
The only issue with the large can be ribs and brisket packers, getting stable temps across the entire meat.
I think that may be the deciding factor. I want the ability to lay a big Packer or a few large slabs of ribs and get even temps across the meat.

Would rather have more than less, if I wanted to cook one chicken no problem, if I wanted to cook 10 still no problem.

I think I am looking at this right!

Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Old 06-06-2008, 11:50 AM   #13
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I posted some grilling pics last night... I set up something of a zoned fire, and it worked great on the XL.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote