MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #11521
jlvhawk3
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I'll definitely be trying less coals in the chimney to start on my next run. Picked up a couple racks of spare ribs and a 8.5lb pork shoulder from the local butcher shop today for my next smoke!
jlvhawk3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #11522
abigphish

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrobert View Post
Bet you can't build just one!

You are right. I am working on building two more. One for me and the other will be for a good friend.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #11523
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlBQ View Post

Thanks Carlbq, I had found it after I made the post.
RT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #11524
DjPorkchop
is one Smokin' Farker

So I was just thinking, is it possible to use something to insulate a UDS when it gets a bit colder out? Something like a hot water heater jacket?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/UltraTouc...9#.UmCM-hC4LLQ

I suppose one would not need to attach it permanently if they could get big enough bungy cords to hold said jacket in place. I looked at that one because it is recycled denim. I saw some others but not so sure I want fiberglass fibers near my food.

This was just a thought I had. It probably has been discussed a time or 10 before. I just didn't want to go back through 769 pages ;)

Never be afraid to try something new. Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic
DjPorkchop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #11525
jlvhawk3

Dj, here's one thread I found on the subject. I was thinking about insulating mine as well, but it seems the general consensus is that it's not really needed. I think I'll plan on trying it without first, and then maybe look into something if I decide it's necessary. Otherwise that looks like a very good option, specially without the fiberglass.
jlvhawk3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2013, 12:54 AM   #11526
DjPorkchop
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm not even sure I thought of it actually. I walked out to the garage earlier and there she stood waiting to be fired up lol and suddenly I realized it was colder out. I was tossing it around in my mind how good these things worked when the temps dipped and trying to burn the coals at 225-250 range.

And yeah, I did like the fact that the material in question had no fiberglass.

Never be afraid to try something new. Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic

Old 10-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #11527
Victory
On the road to being a farker

I am just about finished up with my first build. I just need to throw a couple coats of paint on it. I already did two coats of the 2000 degree engine paint, but wanted something a little more shiny for the finished product, so I will be slapping on some gloss black and some clearcoat this evening, hopefully it looks good.

this thread has been very helpful.

it's just a standard looking barrel with a weber lid, painted black. I did (3) 1" intakes as my dad had all the 1" pipe and fittings and valves laying around the house. did a seasoning test run on wednesday with only a few pounds of lump in the basket. she burned at 250 for 7 hours and was still going strong when I went to bed. very impressed coming from a cheap brinkman offset. would take me 15lbs of charcoal to do that with that pos.

doing my first smoke sunday for the ravens/steelers game with it, just some beef ribs and turkey breast but Im excited to try some food off of it.

I will try to post a picture of it after I get it all painted up.

one question I do have, and Im sorry if it has already been posted, has anyone tried magnet signs on the side of the smoker? like something you would stick to the side of a truck. wondering if they would hold up to the heat. ive got some raven ones I am going to try this weekend. hopefully they dont burn onto the side lol.
Victory is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #11528
DjPorkchop
is one Smokin' Farker

Hi Victory.

I would think they would be ok. I have read dozens of times where people use magnets to cover intake holes on the sides of their barrel.

Hopefully some one else will chime in and give you a difinitive answer. I am still a newbie my self. I just got my first smoker (UDS) built and have only cooked on it once so far.

Take care and happy Q'ing!

Ray

Old 10-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #11529
BroBBQButcher
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory View Post
I am just about finished up with my first build. I just need to throw a couple coats of paint on it. I already did two coats of the 2000 degree engine paint, but wanted something a little more shiny for the finished product, so I will be slapping on some gloss black and some clearcoat this evening, hopefully it looks good.

this thread has been very helpful.

it's just a standard looking barrel with a weber lid, painted black. I did (3) 1" intakes as my dad had all the 1" pipe and fittings and valves laying around the house. did a seasoning test run on wednesday with only a few pounds of lump in the basket. she burned at 250 for 7 hours and was still going strong when I went to bed. very impressed coming from a cheap brinkman offset. would take me 15lbs of charcoal to do that with that pos.

doing my first smoke sunday for the ravens/steelers game with it, just some beef ribs and turkey breast but Im excited to try some food off of it.

I will try to post a picture of it after I get it all painted up.

one question I do have, and Im sorry if it has already been posted, has anyone tried magnet signs on the side of the smoker? like something you would stick to the side of a truck. wondering if they would hold up to the heat. ive got some raven ones I am going to try this weekend. hopefully they dont burn onto the side lol.
I have a flat thin University of Missouri magnet on mine and it is fine. The only time I had an issue was when I did the burn out and forgot the magnet was on the other side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the goods.jpg (54.1 KB, 722 views)
BroBBQButcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #11530
retired trucker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory View Post

When the drum is up to temp, if your basket is smaller than the diameter of the drum, then the outside of the drum will get hot, but not hot enough to burn your hand. It will be to hot to leave your hand against it, but not hot enough to blister if you accidentally touch it. So, to answer your question, it should not burn or melt the mag signs. They probably get hotter in the sun in the summer on your car or truck. My drum sides when cooking at 300* or so will not burn my palm when I touch it. Now the flat lid is a different story. Hope this helps.

Blessings,
Omar

Old 10-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #11531
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

I went "no ball valves" on my UDS & use sheet magnets to close off and control my inlets. 275 -300 they are not a problem but if I get up to chicken skin crisping temps then they can get a bit "bubbly and turn to taffy". I'd probably use a stencil and paint the design on or just remove it for those high heat cooks.
Nuco59 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:11 AM   #11532
StJohn
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default UDS convert

Hello everyone,

I recently decided to try some competitions here in Europe and researched what grill would be best for my requirements...
1. affordable....$500>
2. portable .....dont have a trailer and dont wanna get one
3. proven efficient....something that competitors have been using and winning on

That led me to the WSM.....Problem is that I cant get it shipped here without a hell of a hassle. That made me search for alternatives. First I was gonna have a buddy weld a tube and other parts. Then I saw a post on youtube about a UDS. Everyone was praising them and the UDS met my requirements.

Picked up a 15gal and a 55gal. They were cleaned out and ready. I started with the little one. Made my holes, burned it out, cleaned the outside and inside, put on some hardware and gave it an inaugural cook. Had to...needed some chicken for a potluck, so what the hell.

Little smoker was a beast! Heres my cook log:
17 Oct- chicken thighs, BBQ rub from book..cupcake chicken
PIT- MUDS maiden smoke…..20 unlit Roal Oak…..10 lit….(note) place lit charcoal in individually…pouring don't work good
--1734 coals input…..temp quickly hit 250….all holes wide open 100/100/100
--1745 temp 299…within range 275-300
--1757 temp 300 wood smoking
--1800 temp 320…chicken on…closed back…0/50/50
--1810 temp 320…0/0/0
--1820 temp 285…looks like its settling in….
--1830 temp 275…perfect
--1840 temp 265…0/0/50
--1850 temp285…0/0/20
--1900 temp 300…don't take much air…0/0/20
--1910 temp 300….0/0/20
--1930 temp 320…0/0/0 again
--1940 temp 300….flipped chicken….not completely on bottom…hope it dries out skin this last 30 min…0/0/100
--1952 temp 340….0/0/10
--2000 temp 335….0/0/10…removed chicken from cupcake pan…sauced and put back for 45 min
--2045 temp 310 and holding…0/0/10 pulled chicken off…look good..a bit dry
--2125 temp 310 and holding…0/0/10
--2203 temp 290….0/0/10
--2253 last check before i turn in….. temp 225…..closed everything
5 hours maintained 225-340 degrees

Can' wait to finish the pair.

StJ.
StJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #11533
UDSPowercat
Knows what a fatty is.

How many cans of spray paint will it take to paint my drum?
UDSPowercat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2013, 11:09 PM   #11534
DjPorkchop
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDSPowercat View Post
How many cans of spray paint will it take to paint my drum?
I used 1 and a half cans of high temp on my 55 gal UDS. That was lid 2 coats, drum 2 coats, and parts.... well, what parts that got painted.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #11535
Victory
On the road to being a farker

had its first smoke on sunday, did three racks of beef ribs and two bone in turkey breasts.

everything came out great, very impressed with how well this smoker holds temps
Victory is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker