MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

Default I'm gonna need some help.

Well long story short, my grandpa died about a month ago, and were having the memorial, celebration of life, and all that jazz next weekend in sac town. He used to be big on bbq, grilling and smoking; so thats what were going to cook. And guess who got lumped with cooking 12 racks of ribs, this guy. My uncle was in charge of it until a grinder accident at work left him, mostly unable to do it. So i have a week to prepare, and to figure out how his barrel works, without having it. Its not a normal type it has a large hole in it that another part slides into with the coals (i think). And there are no racks just two bars and hangers. Could i fit all 12 racks in at once? any other suggestion for doing this on unfamiliar equipment? Also, any tips on cooking them in the hanged position?
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Can your uncle give you any verbal help as to how to use that cooker? Do you have a time constraint that precludes you cooking the ribs in more than one batch or even a day before so they could be reheated on a grill? Any pictures of that barrel?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
landarc

Hanging ribs is not a huge problem, just make sure you don't over cook them. The real problem is not being able to see the cooker, gonna be hard to explain how to run it. 12 racks is going to be a lot to fit into a 55 gallon drum, when you say barrel, do you mean a steel drum or something larger?

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
Bludawg

Isn't The Great Kreskin a member here, I bet he'd know?

Old 02-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
Can your uncle give you any verbal help as to how to use that cooker? Do you have a time constraint that precludes you cooking the ribs in more than one batch or even a day before so they could be reheated on a grill? Any pictures of that barrel?
As far as my dad and uncle know he always just used a small hibachi for the coals and slid it in. And i could very well do it in batches, and keep the done ones wrapped in a cooler. And no pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Hanging ribs is not a huge problem, just make sure you don't over cook them. The real problem is not being able to see the cooker, gonna be hard to explain how to run it. 12 racks is going to be a lot to fit into a 55 gallon drum, when you say barrel, do you mean a steel drum or something larger?
That is my worry is cooking times, and not wanting them over cooked. Its a 55 gallon steel drum. Even though on the pbc it doesnt seem a problem of the ends cooking faster at the coals. maybe i can wrap then in foil after about an hour or something.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

I think you want to cut down the unknowns and variables as much as possible. I would strongly consider cooking on a pit that I know how to use the day before, in as many batches as necessary to be comfortable with what I already know how to do. Then I would cool them down quickly and refrigerate them. Bring them in a cooler with ice and heat them up on a Weber or some similar grill to set the final glaze just before I serve them.

On the other hand you probably do want to use your grandfather's smoker. Perhaps there is a way to heat them up in it at the end.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
jmoney7269
Banned

Roll them up put a skewer through them. Seen it before, copied it, worked great when I needed space on the UDS and traeger. Cooked like 50 BB racks between the two.
Got the idea from a fellow pellethead
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
scottjess
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Scottjames84

Could you cook em on your UDS in Reno then keep em nice n cold for the drive to Sac?

Old 02-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

I wanted to just take my whole drum, but the family really wants to use his, so thats what is going to happen, lol. I can have as much time as i need to do it, since we dont eat till early evening saturday, and im off thursday and friday before.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #10
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonnblack View Post
I wanted to just take my whole drum, but the family really wants to use his, so thats what is going to happen, lol. I can have as much time as i need to do it, since we dont eat till early evening saturday, and im off thursday and friday before.
I totally understand. The memorial and family are much more important than the ribs. More I think about it, figuring out how to use that smoker with others pitching in will be fun. If the ribs don't turn out, so what? I got too focused on the ribs.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #11
sluvsmore
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269 View Post
Roll them up put a skewer through them. Seen it before, copied it, worked great when I needed space on the UDS and traeger. Cooked like 50 BB racks between the two.
Got the idea from a fellow pellethead
wow That is awsum do they get the smoked flavor on the inside of the roll?

Time spent on the ocean or BBQing are not held against your life expectancy!
sluvsmore is offline   Reply With Quote