• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What Book For BBQ Smoking Is Considered An Industry Benchmark

Chett. L

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
What Book For BBQ Smoking Is Considered An Industry Benchmark?

I just ordered Meathead: The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling. Any other classics recommend?

Thank you.

That is almost like saying what is the best smoker...lots of answers. Meathead's book is a pretty good one. I don't own it but have got it from the library. Depending on what you like, and what region of BBQ you are looking, there are several. I like Stephen Raichlens multiple books, and Aaron Franklin's BBQ Manifesto. I also get recipes from smoking-meat.com and HowToBBQRight.com among othe places. A lot of different TV and Online videos you can lose yourself in!

You don't need a book when you have all of the knowledge from the members here.
I do like Aaron Franklin's book. Steven Raichlen's BBQ Bible has been around forever and is still used as a great reference. If you are a Prime member, there are usually several books that you can borrow or download for free that will contain some useful information and recipes.

Lots of truth to what Ronbrad62 said.

I preface this by saying that I attribute Steven Raichlen for increasing my interest in barbecue many years ago...what seems like a lifetime ago, and I’ll still watch his shows and enjoy it if I happen across it on PBS.

The books below tell a much better story than Raichlen’s or “Meathead’s”, in my opinion. I’ve bought quite a few books over the years due to Brethren recommendations and these are all good. There’s more than just recipes in these books.

That is almost like saying what is the best smoker...lots of answers. Meathead's book is a pretty good one. I don't own it but have got it from the library. Depending on what you like, and what region of BBQ you are looking, there are several. I like Stephen Raichlens multiple books, and Aaron Franklin's BBQ Manifesto. I also get recipes from smoking-meat.com and HowToBBQRight.com among othe places. A lot of different TV and Online videos you can lose yourself in!

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you.

You don't need a book when you have all of the knowledge from the members here.
I do like Aaron Franklin's book. Steven Raichlen's BBQ Bible has been around forever and is still used as a great reference. If you are a Prime member, there are usually several books that you can borrow or download for free that will contain some useful information and recipes.

Hi Ron,

Thank you.

Lots of truth to what Ronbrad62 said.

I preface this by saying that I attribute Steven Raichlen for increasing my interest in barbecue many years ago...what seems like a lifetime ago, and I’ll still watch his shows and enjoy it if I happen across it on PBS.

The books below tell a much better story than Raichlen’s or “Meathead’s”, in my opinion. I’ve bought quite a few books over the years due to Brethren recommendations and these are all good. There’s more than just recipes in these books.

Thank you.

Favorite is “salt, fat, acid, heat by Samin Nosrat. Not bbq book, but once you read it you will have a much better perspective on how to cook.

Another thumbs up for this one. I also like Aaron Franklin’s book. He has a PBS series “BBQ With Franklin” that you can stream at pbs.org

As mentioned above - watch Aaron Franklin's PBS series on YouTube. A great free series of knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The real thing would be a very short book. There's no magic, just experience.

In fact, we could start it here.

1. If smoking, thin blue smoke.

2. For short cooks cook by internal temperature.

3. For long cooks cook by feel (probe tender, bone pulls out, etc)

4. Resting is important, especially on brisket

5. Find rubs you like.

6. The BBQ you like is the best.

7. Cincinnati chili rules.

Back