BGE vs Weber Summit Charcoal Grill

Use lump charcoal and open the vents up.

How hot are you trying to get?

Do a reverse sear for a steak, it's amazing!

You'll have no problems cooking pizza!

To get real hot...

Light some lump an spread it across the bottom. Pile a think layer of lump on top. Leave the vents wide open, maybe lid open too until the fire is spread from bottom to top. It should be pretty dang hot.

You really think this weber is better than BGE?
And I just bought the weber

You will be able to make that thing sing (or sit up & bark, as the case may be).........listen to the few folks who already have the Weber AND the BGE / Kamodo people, as all of them will have tips, tricks & insights to do whatever you want......

I can do basically anything I can think up on these regular kettles, so think of your as a much more fine tuned piece of machinery.....

P1010005.jpg

You will be able to make that thing sing (or sit up & bark, as the case may be).........listen to the few folks who already have the Weber AND the BGE / Kamodo people, as all of them will have tips, tricks & insights to do whatever you want......

I can do basically anything I can think up on these regular kettles, so think of your as a much more fine tuned piece of machinery.....

P1010005.jpg

Dang

You really think this weber is better than BGE?
And I just bought the weber

P1010005.jpg

Well, I'm not as bad as buckie! I've got a LBGE, BGE mini max, 3, 22" kettles, performer, smokey joe, and a Rivergrille, cowboy grill fire pit.

Better? I think the pro's are in favor of the Summit.
The drop down charcoal grate is pretty cool. The flip up diffuser is OK.
I've never had to add fuel to my egg so it's kinda even.
The storage, the SS gasket, the ease of cleaning and lack of frailty are all big pluses for me.
I just watched a vid of a guy that did a burn test to see how long out of a full fire box (3 chimney's I believe) 50+ hours @225.
The best I've done (while cooking. He was just burning) is about 35 hours.

All that said, IF I had the money, I'd get one and keep the egg too.
The only way I could come close to doing it now is to sell the egg and probably a gun to finance it. :tsk:

Awesome show 1bucki !!!

No WSCG today, it's on a dock in Kansas City :roll:

Suppose to be here tomorrow...

Well, I'm not as bad as buckie! I've got a LBGE, BGE mini max, 3, 22" kettles, performer, smokey joe, and a Rivergrille, cowboy grill fire pit.

The storage, the SS gasket, the ease of cleaning and lack of frailty are all big pluses for me.
I just watched a vid of a guy that did a burn test to see how long out of a full fire box (3 chimney's I believe) 50+ hours @225.

The only way I could come close to doing it now is to sell the egg and probably a gun to finance it. :tsk:

That guy is a brethren named baby back maniac and he's been making great videos detailing the cooker since he got it, which was early on.

Another plus is that if register your wscg weber is sending out a free cookbook.

Ok. Thanks. I haven't gotten above 500* yet
How could I crank it up higher?
I was able to get 500+ using regular KBB.

Charcoal grate on upper position
Leaving the gas assist on for about 10 ~ 12 minutes
bottom vent fully opened
lid is completely opened

After turning off gas assist, close the lid and flip opened the top vent. Temperature climbed rapidly to reach 500+.

I'm the guy in the video. I think you're assessment is dead on except I like the flip up diffuser. It's nice to be able to access the coals just to stir them or add wood which is something we as kamado users work around by how we set up the kamados.

I probably wouldn't sell a BJKJ or BGE XL to get a Summit unless I had a good reason. The Summit is just lighter, less fragile, more convinces, and has a smaller footprint (once you account for prep space, stuff storage, charcoal storage that we all have by the grill...and sometimes weed burners and shop vacs.)

Having said that, the cooking experience itself is pretty much the same.

Back