The Pueblo Slopper

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Staff member
Reaction score
Going through my Google News feed yesterday and up pops a story about the Pueblo Slopper. The Pueblo Slopper is a burger you’ll need a knife, fork, and spoon for, well I'm intrigued now. And there is a Burger throwdown going on. Come join us, have some fun cooking and a chance to win some great rubs.

So what is a slopper? A Cheeseburger covered with green chile sauce. Seems it was invented in the 1950's in Pueblo Colorado. Some versions serve it open faced, some have the top bun, some add various other sides. Lettuce, tomatoes, fries, all have cheese, all have chopped onions all are smothered in green chili. I'M IN!

Pulled a package of CSR's and Hatch chiles out of the deep freeze to make the green chili. I loosely followed this recipe for the chili. I guess mine will technically be a Hatch Slopper. :noidea:

WMQb7cgh.jpg

Diced it up, onions, 1 lb of hatch chiles diced up...

la7v7Zmh.jpg

94fzJfdh.jpg

TQdRacnh.jpg

FnsFMEBh.jpg

Into the hot tub they go for a few hours...

jJERXnVh.jpg

Cooked up a couple of 8oz. burger patties on the grill. Seasoned up with some Tatonka Dust.

XkrA03Bh.jpg

AdRsYJDh.jpg

Figured I'd toast up the bun on both sides so it would hold up to the chili a little better.

gd5ri9th.jpg

It's normally served in a bowl, but I don't have any shallow bowls, so on to a plate it goes to show it off...

hNwmqnSh.jpg

jzfeXfxh.jpg

MtImWj3h.jpg

a3s5NHrh.jpg

Don't know what a real Slopper tastes like, but if it's anything like this... DAYUM...

BTW, you do in fact need a spoon... Thanks for looking.

A lot of work went into that,looks Good :thumb:

Andy,

Come on man... I'm 20 minutes away! I'd wear a hazmat suit to eat that if you're worried :-D:-D:-D

Thanks,
Greg

Ya know what?

I don’t give a rats arse what ya call it...

I WANT IT!!!

Oh man...that looks tasty :clap2: seems like the perfect meal to sop up the bad decisions of the night prior.

Andy,

Come on man... I'm 20 minutes away! I'd wear a hazmat suit to eat that if you're worried :-D:-D:-D

Thanks,
Greg

Wow my mouth is watering for ya Greg. 20 min. follow your nose :-D Awesome looking burger! I love green chilies

Love every ingredient that went into this cook Andy. :clap2:

I too saw that same article and said to myself,"damn Hoss,you need to make this". Your version looks delicious.

Wow my mouth is watering for ya Greg. 20 min. follow your nose :-D Awesome looking burger! I love green chilies

Ha Ha.. I think we're in a new phase with all the PPE.... My next door neighbor is 90, her husband passed a few years ago... when I see her she always threatens to steal food off my cooker because of the smell... Last week I cooked a brisket, collards and baked potato. I made her a plate, set it on her doorstep then rang the bell and run... Funny, last time I did this it wasn't brisket :icon_smile_tongue: Anyway, the next day she rang my doorbell and when I answered it was my clean dishes and only what I can describe as the best slice of apple pie I have ever had.... I guess you really can make lemonade out of lemons :-D

Thanks,
Greg

One of the best mistakes I ever made was ordering a green chile cheeseburger at a local joint in Buena Vista Co. I received a Slopper. Good stuff

Very cool burger cook, Andy!

Your Slopper trumps a Whopper all day long!!

Back