Coffee in Brisket Rub

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

We've gotten to the point where we are happy with our rib and chicken rubs. I'm going to use the fall to work on comp brisket and pork shoulder rubs.

I was wondering if anyone uses coffee or unsweetened chocolate in their comp rubs. I think it will add a depth of flavor and round out the sharpness found in other ingredients, but I'd appreciate any input from those that have already tried it. Hopefully it will provide a boldness that's needed in comps.

Thanks!

Eric

I use both. I use chocolate in my beef rub, coffee always goes into my pork rubs and even my bbq sauces. I was doing a demo cook over the weekend and everyone kept asking where to buy my bbq sauce, as I pointed out the profile, the specs of coffee, etc. Maybe I need to start sellin this stuff. Pork loves coffee by the way, a LOT.

I found a recipe for an all around BBQ sauce and it included 2 cups of strong coffee. I definitely believe that this was the best sauce that i had ever made. Now if I can just get the duplication and consistency the same I'll be happy. I think my consistency problem is with the varying degrees of heat in the peppers that I use. :becky:

I use it. both chocolate and coffee is used in two of my rubs. Go for it. Cook one with it side by side with one without. It definately adds another level!

Although I think I would probably dig it for home use, I would shy away from trying it in a competition. Bitterness (one of the characteristics of coffee) is one thing that judges seem to frown upon. If my au jus becomes bitter in the wrapping, I will not use it in our final glaze. The brisket flavors judges seem to love are beefy & savory with a slightly sweet heat. I stress slight on the sweet. Too much sweet can overpower the savory characteristics you're looking to bring forward.

Just my $.02

Kev

Although I think I would probably dig it for home use, I would shy away from trying it in a competition. Bitterness (one of the characteristics of coffee) is one thing that judges seem to frown upon.

No bitterness after cooking. IMO you can't even taste the coffee once cooked, but it produces a very deep 'earthy' flavor.

I've placed as high as 3rd in pork when maybe or maybe not using my coffee rub.

Something to try. Take your rib or pork sauce and cut it with a little instant espresso (use instant because the idea is you can mix it in the field when needed).

i dont taste the bitterness when i use coffee in my rub. I agree with the whole "earthy" taste. I have not used it with pork though, might try it. I think unsweetened chocolate adds a "different" sweet, pretty subtle, but different. I like it a lot. Dont know if that will mean judges will. got 23rd outta 62 on my first try with it...

Never tried it in my brisket but have put it in a pot roast. Tastes good.:-D

I have used it in all my rubs, different flavors too.
Have used chocalate powder....also

they give earth tones to your meat,
too much is not good either, has to be right amount

some people sware by it... who knows,
i have to be in the mood & sometimes i am not

For something a little different try adding some instant espresso, found at least in the Mexican isle, to your rubs for a different coffee flavor.

yes, espresso powder, bold, rich flavor! I use it in some triple chocolate cookies I make, and espresso really makes that cookie! Along with Drolsh powdered chocolate, and some nestle chips. You could probably skip the nestle chips in the rub however.

I've seen recipes for sauce with strong coffee in it, and have always been intrigued, but have never tried it. I love sauces with vodka or JD in them... they give a certain zest to the sauce unachievable by anything else.

So lets see, liquor in sauce, coffee and chocolate in rubs and sauces, I think the only thing missing is tobacco, next time throw a pinch of copenhagen in the rub! LOL

Caught the Smoking Guns rub recipe on Triple D the other day, contains cocoa powder. Don't think anyone would argue with his brisket success.

and i saw a tobacco and coffee ice cream on insane eats or whatever it is. he loved it.

Back