MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:53 PM   #1
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Sponsorship ROI?

I'm working with a couple of meat distributors for possible sponsorship of team SIDE this year and beyond, but one has asked for an estimate as to sponsorship cost versus exposure value. I could put something random together but am wondering if any of the bigger teams have any ideas?

I'm doing 4-5 contests max and can guesstimate the meat costs but how do I value exposure to logos, etc based on foot traffic at each contest?
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2008, 09:56 PM   #2
MilitantSquatter

Is the meat distributor a local, regional or national player ?

Does he service the markets you would be competing in ?

If he's a regional/national guy... is there a way for patrons of the contest to find out about their products/services eiher online, pamphlets (possibly with a discount incentive if they place an order from finding out about it from team SIDE etc.) ?
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2008, 10:14 PM   #3
Just Smokin' Around
Full Fledged Farker

If the meat distributor is local and you are doing comps outside the immediate area, you can't really offer a lot of business value. For example, say you are competing in PA, if he only serves an area in NY, he gets little to no value to advertise in PA where you are competing. This is the problem trying to recruit local businesses as sponsors.
Medium BGE, Weber Kettle and gasser, other toys
Just Smokin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2008, 10:21 PM   #4
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Use estimated foot traffic at the contests that you are cooking at as well as other BBQ events where he may get exposure. Don't forget to count the miles you may travel to the events and let him know that his logo, if on your trailer, will be seen on major highways and interstates spanning X number of miles. Include exposure on shirts, team web site, etc.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2008, 10:32 PM   #5
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
Use estimated foot traffic at the contests that you are cooking at as well as other BBQ events where he may get exposure. Don't forget to count the miles you may travel to the events and let him know that his logo, if on your trailer, will be seen on major highways and interstates spanning X number of miles. Include exposure on shirts, team web site, etc.
That's the ticket, Todd! These are all national meat distributors from what I understand, just need to figure out how to assign a value to foot traffic/viewership from trailer visibility, etc.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2008, 10:42 PM   #6
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
That's the ticket, Todd! These are all national meat distributors from what I understand, just need to figure out how to assign a value to foot traffic/viewership from trailer visibility, etc.
I'd let them figure out the ROI from a quantitative perspective. You don't know their business. From a qualitative perspective, you can give them numbers of potential impressions.

Also include the number of average teams at the events. If you like the product, you'll be telling your friends. Include the awards you've won for credibility within you peer group.

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler

Old 03-22-2008, 08:29 AM   #7
scottyd
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
I'd let them figure out the ROI from a quantitative perspective. You don't know their business. From a qualitative perspective, you can give them numbers of potential impressions.

Also include the number of average teams at the events. If you like the product, you'll be telling your friends. Include the awards you've won for credibility within you peer group.

that is what it is about getting exposure. be seen, credibility, and for goodness sake don't be a drunken mess. You now are not representing yourself you have your sponsors image also. Have fun but if you have a Major one you must be somewhat in tune with the surroundings.

ROI for my sponsor is priceless!!! You know mine right Todd.
[B]STUMPS 223[/B]
[B]STUMPS CLASSIC[/B]
[B]STUMPS PLATNUM BEING BUILT NOW[/B]
[B]WEBER KETTLE GOLD[/B]
[B]YOUR SILENCE WILL NOT SAVE YOU[/B]
scottyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2008, 08:36 AM   #8
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyd View Post
that is what it is about getting exposure. be seen, credibility, and for goodness sake don't be a drunken mess. You now are not representing yourself you have your sponsors image also. Have fun but if you have a Major one you must be somewhat in tune with the surroundings.

...and never be seen eating a Slim Jim.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:03 PM   #9
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyd View Post

I know for darn sure that trailer doesnt say "O'Boy Oberto" on the side

AMEN for that JACK LINKS Beef Jerky!!!! and steak nuggets, and other morsels your sponsor produces....

Old 03-22-2008, 05:45 PM   #10
scottyd
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDeDo View Post
I know for darn sure that trailer doesn't say "O'Boy Oberto" on the side

AMEN for that JACK LINKS Beef Jerky!!!! and steak nuggets, and other morsels your sponsor produces....

Thanks guys for the plug, but I really got to tell you. when you have a sponsor that kicks in for the long haul. IMAGE takes on a new meaning. We still do have fun and a great time just make sure we don't get to crazy in public. Now that being said Lets have a party as we do like to host some of the best party's just come to Huron in June. BROTHERS I WILL SHOW YOU A PARTY AS I WILL THROW A SPONSOR GATHERING.
[B]STUMPS 223[/B]
[B]STUMPS CLASSIC[/B]
[B]STUMPS PLATNUM BEING BUILT NOW[/B]
[B]WEBER KETTLE GOLD[/B]
[B]YOUR SILENCE WILL NOT SAVE YOU[/B]
scottyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2008, 06:56 PM   #11
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Clint,

Include the exposure that you gain from participation in forums such as these. Tournament reports and wrap-ups that you present here or on other sites as well as photos of your lot will hit thousands of eyes. And it's a specific targeted market. Not many vegetarians here.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2008, 06:57 PM   #12
The Pickled Pig
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
You could get the ad rates (views or impressions per $) from nearby sports stadiums and use that as a base for your analysis. I get that info occassionally from ad reps at stadiums here in KC.

If there's enough potential money on the table, consider consulting with an ad agency. I hear MMA has experience in the competitve cooking arena .

Twitter - @ThePickledPig

CBJ, WSM, UDS Cookers, Weber Gasser, Weber One Touch Gold Kettle,
The Pickled Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2008, 12:15 PM   #13
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pickled Pig View Post
You could get the ad rates (views or impressions per $) from nearby sports stadiums and use that as a base for your analysis. I get that info occassionally from ad reps at stadiums here in KC.

If there's enough potential money on the table, consider consulting with an ad agency. I hear MMA has experience in the competitve cooking arena .
can you expand on the MMA portion of this statement?

phil
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #14
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookiedad View Post

phil
MMA Creative the "marketing" company for KCBS. Not to be confused with Mixed Martial Arts.

But come to thing about it... --oh never mind---

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2008, 12:22 PM   #15
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookiedad View Post

phil
MMA was hired in the last year or so by KCBS be their marketing arm to promote the organization and build the brand that some have reason to believe that the deal struck serves some more than others and is not in the best interests of the general membership but that is another subject althogether.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote