MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:20 AM   #3946
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Someone here posted that they just got a strip of metal and rolled it inside the drum, let it stick up 1/4"or so and lid seals against that. Don't know why that wouldn't work.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2009, 10:22 AM   #3947
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinspop View Post
They fit only with the rolled lip cut off, yes? That's my problem, because I'd rather leave it on. I have a solution in the mail, I hope.

BG
Rolled lip? Open top have a larger diameter, closed head have more of a crimp.

The lids I mentioned fit a closed or crimped lip.

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 08-25-2009, 10:24 AM   #3948
Norcoredneck

Open head with rolled lip

Closed head with crimped lip (after using drum deheader)

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 08-26-2009, 10:13 AM   #3949
trb
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default smoker built

Well, I am still not all of the way through the entire thread, but I have finished a smoker. She's seasoned and all, I hope to be cooking something this week sometime.

From what I could find, I opted to get the thicker drum (18 ga) with closed head versus the open head but really thin drums. So, I would say about 60% of my work making a workable lid. I probably will never put this kind of time into another, it just adds so much work.

We'll start with the basket. 14" wide x 7" tall, with the ash pan (a pizza pan) attached.

The only things left to add are the 2" pipe smokestack, and I am going to put wood on one of the side shelves someday.

I put alot more work into the lid than I really had to. Once I cut it, I wrapped both cut side with a 1/4" roundbar to give a seating surface, then on the lid half also welded a thin flatbar around the edge to line it up over the bottom. I also added a stove gasket in that lip, so it is sealed up tight.

Thanks for all of your help! What do y'all think?

trb
trb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2009, 10:21 AM   #3950
N8man
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trb View Post

trb
OutStanding Job!!!!!

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2009, 10:34 AM   #3951
jswordy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Someone here posted that they just got a strip of metal and rolled it inside the drum, let it stick up 1/4"or so and lid seals against that. Don't know why that wouldn't work.
We did this with one we just about have finished. We left the metal stick up 1/2" and it works fine with a Uniflame knockoff lid.

We are building another one with a Weber lid that also does not fit, and contemplating flattening the lid rim and wrapping the steel around the lid this time, rather than tacking it inside the drum. Working theory is that it would control wind effects better that way.

The steel is tack-welded in, and then the seam is sealed with JB Weld.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:38 AM   #3952
Old Hippie
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trb View Post

I can figure out how you did the wheels and the like but the hinge action is astonishing! Give us some close up(s) and more detailed description if the close up(s) don't suffice.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:41 AM   #3953
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswordy View Post
We did this with one we just about have finished. We left the metal stick up 1/2" and it works fine with a Uniflame knockoff lid.

We are building another one with a Weber lid that also does not fit, and contemplating flattening the lid rim and wrapping the steel around the lid this time, rather than tacking it inside the drum. Working theory is that it would control wind effects better that way.

If you flatten the lid it will damage the porcilean coating and you have to get it all off where you weld. It's kind of a pain.

Old Hippie, nice job. Did you paint the basket and inside?

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 08-26-2009, 10:42 AM   #3954
Babyboomerboy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswordy View Post

That is how I did my Weber lid and its works great. I also tack welded it and filled the cracks with JB Weld

Last edited by Babyboomerboy; 10-27-2012 at 08:47 AM..
Babyboomerboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2009, 01:47 PM   #3955
nomorecoop
Found some matches.

Default Any issues with this charcoal basket for UDS?

Any thoughts or suggestions on this charcoal basket? I haven't added the handle yet, waiting until it's perfect.

Used a 16" pizza pan as an ashtray. 16" grate for the bottom of the basket. Used 12"x24" expanded steel for the basket, giving me a diameter of appx 7 1/2 x 12".

From the ground to the bottom of the basket is 3 1/4".
From the lip of the pizza pan to the bottom of the basket is 2 3/4".

No galvanized nuts/bolts.

Will this work? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!!!
nomorecoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #3956
trb
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default hige detail

Old Hippie,

See if this shows it better.

It isn't complicated, it just might look that way! I had to spread the mounting points out because a small mounting point on the thin sheet metal wall of the drum would let it be too flimsy, which is why there is so much steel for the hinge.

Also, I knew I had to back my pivot point out to allow it to lift and not catch that lip. Although, I went ahead and ground that lip up on the backside anyhow (which is why you can kind of see the gasket under that lip).
trb is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:13 PM   #3957
Melon bros. catering
Got Wood.

Default Score!

got all 6 of these with lids for FREE!! they all had cows liver in them. oh wait the guy did charge me. just a PB. man im stoked! already started making one. just doing a basic build. i have no skills with tools so i figured i would start with the easy ones and work my way to those really nice ones like above.
Melon bros. catering is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2009, 08:37 PM   #3958
Theboz1419
is one Smokin' Farker

I have one question, I have painted my UDS with BBQ paint, but its very dull(flat). I would like to shine it up a bit. Where could I get some High temp gloss can paint. Have not seen anywhere except for the bbq/stove flat paint.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:39 PM   #3959
Sizzlepig
On the road to being a farker

I just scored 2 closed top drums for $6.00 each off of CL. They held isopropyl alcohol and are unlined. I already have one donor Weber kettle and am on the lookout for more donors for this project. I will post pics tomorrow. I gave up on the lined drum that I have had for awhile now. I will probably use it for an ash barrel. I am slowly reading through this thread and I have learned quite a lot.
Thanks for all of the great info.
Sizzlepig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2009, 02:56 AM   #3960
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theboz1419 View Post
I have one question, I have painted my UDS with BBQ paint, but its very dull(flat). I would like to shine it up a bit. Where could I get some High temp gloss can paint. Have not seen anywhere except for the bbq/stove flat paint.
Just use engine paint, or cook some butts and get it greasy, it will shine!

Ok let's see your Butt!

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker