Make sure your grill brush is in good shape!

Ran into a buddy last year while voting. His wife ate a hamburger and had a grill brush wire inbedded into her lower jaw. She was in horrible pain. David took her to the E/Room. Only after an x-ray did it show up. They had to do surgery in the e/room to remove it. I still use a grill brush to knock off the big nasties. Then I use a ball of h.d. tin foil to re-scrub my grates to prevent this from ever happening to my family or guests. This crap is for real folks!!!!!

wow.. very comon as per a google search

What also happens is someone will wire brush a grill and a pet will clean up the area where the brushing was done.

dog grate cleaner

i tried to use my dog but the howling was just more than my wife could stand i followed LANGS directions and preheat the smoker to 275 but he howls and jumps off and the smell is real bad:brick:

I heard about this on here not long after I first joined. I use balled up foil on my WSM and one of those stones on my gasser. Which I hate, because it leaves dust behind on the grates. Which I have to wipe off with an EVOO paper towel

good to know. I'll be sure to try something different. Thats the last thing anybody needs.

If I recall correctly from the last time this came up, a lot of the problem is how the brush is made. Cheap brushes cut a length of brass wire, say 1/2 inch, and wedge the 1/2 inch group of wire into a hole and repeat. Easy for the wires to fall out, especially when the plastic base is heated. Quality brushes cut a length of wire 1" long, and push down in the middle of the wires and secure them in the base of the brush so they are held in place. That's why I like using Weber's y shaped brush, the bristles are held in the middle of two strands of twisted metal, very difficult to come loose.

If I recall correctly from the last time this came up, a lot of the problem is how the brush is made. Cheap brushes cut a length of brass wire, say 1/2 inch, and wedge the 1/2 inch group of wire into a hole and repeat. Easy for the wires to fall out, especially when the plastic base is heated. Quality brushes cut a length of wire 1" long, and push down in the middle of the wires and secure them in the base of the brush so they are held in place. That's why I like using Weber's y shaped brush, the bristles are held in the middle of two strands of twisted metal, very difficult to come loose.
That's the one I use and it has held up like a champ!

I like the crumpled aluminum foil idea.
Is there any worry about small particles of aluminum becoming imbedded in the steel or stainless, then coming off onto food?
I guess you gotta pick your poison. The lesser of two evils?
Maybe over thinking.

I use Weber brushes only, as the saying goes you get what you pay for,
I also replace my brush about every other year or when it looks to be getting too uch wear to it. I think it won't loose bristles if it's in good shape.

This is the one I use

Another vote for the Weber brush. Haven't noticed any loose bristles since I started using one.

My goodness, going home and throwing out that $1 plastic cheapo brush!

Thanks for the heads up guys, I'll be getting a real brush.

I've been using a so-so brush, but it is probably 5yrs old. Actually noticed bristles coming off in the bottom of my weber. Haven't noticed any in the food...yet.

I use a rag with olive oil on it on my gasser and UDS. Nothing ever sticks so the rag works great.

Before I cook, I flat cut a side and cross hatch a onion and soak the onion in olive oil and then I scrub the racks down with the olive oil onion. Not only adds flavor to my racks, but the olive oil holds up well to the heat.

And if I did use a brush, I would defo use that Webber brush. I looked at one a short while ago and all but bought it.

Anyone use the pumice stone grill cleaners?

013703.jpg

Back