water for comp trailers

monty3777

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Do you folks who have trailers with sinks wait until you are at the comp to fill your tank? I'm trying to save lbs and that option seems reasonable, but I don't recall seeing anyone ever filling up at a comp.

It depends on the comp - if they have RV spots - then I certainly don't travel with water if possible as most RV spots have water hook ups.

I've heard of other teams stopping at a gas station/rv place etc to fill with water when close to the comp.

Otherwise, I fill at home and just carry it.

We generally wait til we are at the comp if we're familiar with the grounds or have asked about RV tank filling. The good thing about Iowa is nearly all of the rest stops have free RV dumps (the one by Ankeny does not). So we'll fill on the way there and dump on the way home when we do comps there.

I always ask the organizer. Especially if I am driving across the country. As Bob stated, Iowa probably has the best rest stops I have seen.. And I have seen a lot of state rest stops. They are all RV/Trailer friendly. Only a few don't have dump stations, which also have fresh water. I also use the RV Dump book and they also have a website. I like to check up on that stuff so I don't get stuck.

I was filling up at home most of last season, but plan on asking more questions before arriving at a comp so I can also save travel weight.

The one time I arrived onsite empty, my space was 30 feet further from the nearest tap than my 75 foot hose would reach. Luckily, another team had an extra 50 foot hose that I was able to borrow. Of course, I was back at the store the next week buying a second hose (100'). :)

I always wait till I get to the comp site and fill up a big 30 gallon container. But I also have a dolly to move it and my trailer pumps out what I need. Not only does Iowa have a lot of dump stations at rest stops but a lot of small towns have them as well.

Back