First High Heat Brisket (Pron)

redhawk

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Consider me a convert. Did three low and slow briskets over the past year and all three were less than desirable, but edible. Decided to try a high heat brisket for the first time today on my Performer.

Got the grill setup for indirect minion start using fire bricks and a water pan on the charcoal grate. I put 20 lit on top of the pile of unlit and topped it with a foil pouch of cherry and hickory wood chips.

I then trimmed the brisket of excess fat trying to leave a thin layer on the fat cap side. I rubbed it with Plowboy's Bovine Bold and then decided to try something. Since I don't worry about bark as much as tenderness, I decided to try and take the trimmed fat and put it on the flat on the non-fatcap side.

I got the cooker up to 325 and put the brisket on and let it cook at 350 until it hit 165 (took about 2 hours and 20 minutes). I then foiled the brisket and added about a cup of beef broth to the foil and let it cook another 2 hours and checked it for probe tender. It still needed a little while longer so kept it on the cooker for another 30 minutes. This was a 12 pounder that was trimmed down to about 10 1/2 pounds and it took close to 5 hours total cooking time. The brisket registered 198 in the flat when I pulled it off. I then drained about 2 cups of the juices and let the brisket rest for an hour and a half.

I made the No. 5 sauce per a recommendation from Jim Lampe using the brisket drippings. I separated the point from the flat and sliced up the flat into slices. The brisket was perfectly moist and the slices held up well. The best brisket I've ever had. Will never do another lns brisket again. Thanks to everyone for suggesting this technique.

I served the brisket with sliced red potatoes, onions and garlic in a foil pouch that I added to the cooker during the last hour of cooking.

100_3118.jpg

100_3121.jpg

100_3123.jpg

100_3128.jpg

100_3125.jpg

100_3126.jpg

100_3130.jpg

100_3131.jpg

great looking brisket... u probably didn't even need the electric knife though

Very nice, and I love hobo pouch taters and veggies with BBQ.

by the way, what is no 5 sauce? if it starts with drippings i am interested

#5 sauce. virtual bullet forum. next on my list to try. same with HH. nice cook, too.

That looks very good. I'm not yet a convert, but all y'all are moving me in that direction.

No. 5 Sauce:

1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tbs rub
1 tbs woosty sauce
1/2 cup of drippings
Combine in sauce pan and mix over medium heat

I added a full cup of drippings and used a little less than 1/2 a cup of vinegar and made up the difference with Louisiana's hot sauce. The sauce was fantastic and complemented the brisket and didn't overpower. This is a base bbq sauce and you can doctor it up anyway you want.

I remember when I started doing them that way 5 years ago and everyone said "Ain't No Way!"

Right.

looks good, will definetly try the sauce :thumb:

That brisket looks great, probably good, even without the sauce.

Back