How much Meat at comp

L

Lazy Dawg

Good Morning Brethren,
Another 1st. time comp question. I've read many competitions supply the meat for the event. Question is this. Do any of you bring additional meats so as to increase your selection for turn in? In other words,how many racks,butts,briskets and chicken should be cooked to ensure a wide selection? Will the event state how much of each you will receive to smoke and are you limited to smoke just what is provided? thanks for your help.
LD

Our normal competition cook is 20 pieces of chicken, 6 racks of ribs, 2 butts and 2 briskets. That allows us a lot of selection.

Lazy Dawg - Where and when are you competing ?

I'm not aware of any contests here in the Northeast that provide the meats unless it is unsanctioned.

If it's a KCBS/NEBS contest, be prepared to drop anywhwere from$75-$150+ or so on the chicken/briskets/butts/ribs as well as additional $$ for meats needed for any grilling categories you wish to participate in.

Ted's quantity breakdown above is probably very close to the norm for most teams in KCBS events, while there are some who cook the bare minimum and others who cook for an army to get select the best pcs for turn in boxes.

I am in line with Ted, however, I just cook 3 racks of ribs, the rest of the numbers are the same.

I'm not aware of any contests here in the Northeast that provide the meats unless it is unsanctioned.

Vinny, Last weekend at Lake Placid both of my meat sponsors, Kilcoyne Farm and Lucky 7 Livestock, provided all natural pasture raised brisket and butts to the first 20 teams that responded to my emails.

12 thighs,2 briskets,2 pork butts,3-4 ribs is what we do

16-20 thighs, 8-9 slabs ribs, 4 briskets, 7-8 butts. We do extra because (a) we have the capacity and (b) my employer, the local electric company, pays for our meats and supplies when we're competing within their service area - they don't care if we win, but they like a big nice People's Choice offering for the public. Grassroots public relations, doncha know?

If we cook under out of our own pocket, we'd drop to probably six slabs of ribs (taking home a few of 'em for my bbq-loving 87-year-old grandma), 2 butts, 2 briskets (plus however many the organizer will give out for PC), 12-16 thighs.

Keri C

18 thighs, 3 or 4 ribs(spares), 3 butts, 1 brisket. I figure my brisket is not that good so I don't know enough people that would want the leftovers!! Extra thighs is important for the ones the skin pulls off of or you drop trying to get them to the box ( or is that just me).

We take 5 rack of ribs (generally we find that some of the bones arent staight enough for our turn ins) 2 butts, 2 briskets (never know if one has that big fat vein in the center) we use whole chickens and thighs so we generally bring 2 whole and 10-12 thighs.

Usually 18-24 thighs, 6 racks of babybacks, 4 butts and 2 briskets.

If it's a KCBS/NEBS contest, be prepared to drop anywhwere from$75-$150+ or so on the chicken/briskets/butts/ribs as well as additional $$ for meats needed for any grilling categories you wish to participate in.

Ted's quantity breakdown above is probably very close to the norm for most teams in KCBS events, while there are some who cook the bare minimum and others who cook for an army to get select the best pcs for turn in boxes.

Looking to enter the Brethren comp in the fall in Sayville. I thought I read about last years Grill Kings comp being supplied by Majestic Foods and charcoal being supplied also. I just was curious on total meat most teams smoked including any, if any, sponser supplied products.

For the KCBS events we will cook: 15-20 chick thighs, 3-6 racks o'ribs(BB's), 2 briskets, mix of butts & picnics or a couple of whole shoulders.

For a MIM/MBA depending upon category selections but for the given categories: Ribs = 15 racks BB's (~30# case), 6 whole shoulders, and/or 1 160-180# whole hog.

Not included is any additional meats for peoples choice or other ancillary entrys.

my normal is 2 butts, 1 brisket, 15 or so chicken thighs, and three slabs of ribs.

10-12 thighs
2 spare or 3 baby backs (just because they come in packs of 2 or 3)
2 butts
2 briskets

When we cook more than this, we get managing too many meats. More usually means less. Ribs are the worst. I don't do more than 3 ribs if I can help it. I think we've done as many as 12 at a contest which was ridiculous.

10-12 thighs
2 spare or 3 baby backs (just because they come in packs of 2 or 3)
2 butts
2 briskets

quote]

Looks like your hearing about the same thing from a lot of people here.
Thats about what I use.

The only contests that I have seen that provide the meat, you are not allowed to bring your own.

Here in South Carolina, a lot of the SCBA events are whole hog. The contest organizers will provide the pigs. Some of the contests are butts and ribs, and the organizers will provide those also. In all cases, you are only allowed to cook what they provide.

Most of the time, you are also required to give the cooked meat back to the organizers to sell to the public.

Thanks Brothers for all your input. It appears that the numbers are realativly close amongst all.I appreciate the time taken to respond. I am looking forward to my 1st comp and feel comfortable,thanks to you all, with asking for your sound advice.
LD

Back