Sliced pastrami?

G

Gregg_BBQ

Anyone have any advice on smoking pastrami to get that perfect consistency to slice it very thin and stay together?

I love the taste of anything smoked, but I really don't want pulled pastrami :)

Thanks!!

i think u refrigerate it then slice it and then steam it, i believe that is how the delis do it
i could be wrong but everything im reading that seams to be what they r doing . and i think they carve it more of a rough cut than a thin slice.

The last time I made some, I took it off the smoker at about 165 internal, it was a good consistancy to slice paper-thin, and tasted great. I have tried cooking it to a higher temp before, and it wants to fall apart.

Made a bunch of it couple years ago and believe we also took it off at 165 and then let it cool before slicing, came out good.

2-3-13018aaa.jpg

Pastrami won't really pull (like fresh barbecued shoulder), but if you over finish it and get it too tender, even thick slices sort of crumble. This is not a bad thing if you are serving it as a main meat with cabbage and potatoes.... or using it in pastrami hash or something...

Like the others have said, for slicing.... smoke it to 165-170, finish it and chill it. Then it slices just the way you want it to. This is a pastramied round, chilled and sliced.

DSC07709a.jpg

Back