Hot and Fast Brisket (pron)

Tricky

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Posted this last night at the end of a different thread, but was having problems with posting pics.

This is 5 1/2 hour brisket. Trimmed and then slathered the brisket in mustard and homemade rub while my lump charcoal was starting in the chimney. Ran the UDS up to about 350 then dropped the brisket on the drum next to a water pan (I was worried about the brisket getting dry at the high heat). Several brethren have told me that this was unnecessary, but for me it was all about the experimentation. Drum held pretty well right around 340.

Foiled at about 4 /12 hours when I started getting worried that I was going to run out of time. As soon as I foiled her, she broke through the stall and kept heading north. Pulled when the flat read 200 on my thermo and rested in the foil for about 45 minutes.

Delicious results, and I didn't have to spend the whole day tending my smoker. Point admittedly wasn't as fall apart tender as when I go low and slow, but that also may be because I usually don't cook to temperature but rather to probe tenderness -- if I would have left this one on longer I might have achieved the same result, but I had limited time. I love BBQing but I'm finding it difficult to devote a whole day to a meat project right now, so this was just the ticket.

brisketpan.JPG

IMG_0067.JPG

IMG_0068.JPG

IMG_0069.JPG

I'm with you, the high heat method produces great results without the huge time committment.

if you want it more tender (moister), wrap it for about :30 to 1 hour longer. you'll get it there. this is the only way i cook briskets now. sorry, but for me, life's too short to tend to something for 12-14 hours.

Thanks y'all! I love the great information and advice I get from the brethren, but the positive encouragement is great too. While the wife enjoys tasting the fruits of my labors, I can't say she understands BBQ as a hobby. So its great to get some positive feedback from people who really know how to Q and who get excited seeing someone's successful efforts.

Back