• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

farked up $15 worth of spares

I never unwrap. And I have mopped before hand and got a pretty bad burn. High sugar content in the sauce I used, I guess.

Oh yeah, before you wrap, throw on some pepper jelly. (don't unwrap) TK and the guys at B2 can vouch for how awesome that was

HMMM - I mop just before wrapping in foil, and I thought the last hour was the "cooler trick". Guess whatever works.

I'm with TK - I don't usually unwrap so I guess I do 3-2-1(cooler) at least for St. Louis style. Haven't done BBs lately. Actually, it depends on how soon the meat start pulling back from the ends -- when that starts I wrap in foil.

Anyway, they turn out good!! :D

brd1958 said:
Mark,

Have you seen habanero jelly around here anywhere ?

Brian

Hi Brian, can't say that I have. A lot of jalapeno jelly only. I guess we need to make it ourselves? Or maybe on-lone ordering?

willkat98 said:
I never unwrap. And I have mopped before hand and got a pretty bad burn. High sugar content in the sauce I used, I guess.

I've never had them burn but you bring up a good point. Guess the chef needs to be the judge of when to mop based on what mop is used. I was mopping at the 3 hour mark using that Blues Hogs rasberry cumin $hit. That stuff must be loaded with sugar, but I keep my pit temp for ribs on the low end (225 with episodes to 240 or so). I was mopping at 3 hours because I figured the wibs might dry out. I see a lot of benefit mopping at the 5 hour mark, so next time I might just spray them down real well at 3 hours, wrap for 2, then mop and rewrap for the final hour. That last hour doesn't need to be in the cooler. You can simply leave them wrapped in the cook chamber and let your fire die naturally. The ribs will continue to do their magic and be plenty hot after 1+ hours.

in2que said:
brd1958 said:
Mark,

Brian

Hi Brian, can't say that I have. A lot of jalapeno jelly only. I guess we need to make it ourselves? Or maybe on-lone ordering?

Yea Jalapeno is plentiful. Will look for habanero on my next Canton trip to first Monday. With regards to on-line avg is $6 a small jar fark that. I have not seen habanero in stores maybe Central Market ? Could spend several hours in thta place just looking.

Can you guys recommend a good sprayer? I have problems with anything other than pure thin liquid stopping up the nozzle. Or am I just p*ssing up a rope trying to put thinned down sauce/marinade/oil in there?

brd1958 said:
in2que said:
brd1958 said:
Mark,

Brian

Yea Jalapeno is plentiful. Will look for habanero on my next Canton trip to first Monday. With regards to on-line avg is $6 a small jar fark that. I have not seen habanero in stores maybe Central Market ? Could spend several hours in thta place just looking.

Central market has some great habaneros. I still am producing so I haven't bought any lately, but they had plenty when I went to get those Hatch chiles.

Being on Atkins I am leary of 7 cups of sugar. Put me right into a diabetic/carbohydrate coma :D I prefer an alcohol induced coma.

I made Habanero and Jalapeno Jelly last night - 6 jars of each.

I'll post the recipe I use -- probably here and then in recipes!

About sprayers -- I just use the "universal" sprayers I buy at the local super market - I usually just spray juice/vinegar but I have mixed up NC style spray with juice, salt, and pepper and it sprayed OK -- just had to shake the bottle pretty often.

Pepper Jelly recipe

I got this from my Aunt Fay and it turns out pretty good. As a disclaimer: this recipe is pretty tame, heat wise, just add more hot peppers until you get it as hot as YOU like it! You can adjust the recipe, just keep the ratios the same.

Hot Pepper Jelly

1/4 Cup liquified hot peppers (jalapeno, habanero, etc.)
3/4 Cup liquified bell pepper (I use green but red, yellow, etc. would work)
6 Cups sugar (yeah, 6 Cups -- this is JELLY)
6 oz. of Certo Pectin (or your favorite brand - I use two pouches)
1/4 teaspoon salt
OPTIONAL: food coloring

I can't begin to tell you how many peppers you will need since size, amount of flesh vs. water, etc., all come into play.

For my 12 jars I used:

2.5 green bell peppers (these were large peppers and provided enough liquid for two batches of jelly)

about 3 Jalapenos (for 1 batch/6-7 1/2 pint jars)

and about 4 Habaneros (for 1 batch/6-7 1/2 pint jars)

I measured all of them rough cut into a measuring cup before liquifying and it came out pretty close -- I blend them seperately and then measure out the appropriate amounts into another measureing cup.

Use some of the vinegar to provide a medium for blending you peppers - some fiber and "chunks" are probably desireable since it gives your jelly "character".

After blending: add the vinegar, peppers, sugar, salt to a large non-reactive pot (stainless steel) and bring to a boil. Stir frequently and watch for boil over -- this stuff is like napalm and will stick to your skin and burn you. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes.

After 10 minutes remove the foam or scum, add you 6 oz of Certo and any food coloring. Stir well and let sit for another 10 minutes.

You should have prepped your jars, lids, and rings ahead of time. Have them clean and sterilized :D

Fill the jars with the hot liquid jelly. Put on your lids and rings. Let the jelly set and gel.

Enjoy.

Can you guys recommend a good sprayer? I have problems with anything other than pure thin liquid stopping up the nozzle. Or am I just p*ssing up a rope trying to put thinned down sauce/marinade/oil in there

i got an oil sprayer from food world

i think it's called a pump-n-spray

works like pam but you have to pump it up

I've seen those. Haven't bought one yet. They look nice in the kitchen and help keep the olive oil (for example) conveniently close buy but help keep the air from getting to it.

i love mine
thought about sending some in the tradin post
it's just alot cheaper than pam and works the same

You farkers hijacked my rib thread :p

And to answer whoever asked (2 pages back, before the hijacking): No my probe is not broken, and I have determined that the problem was an extra-lean batch of spares.

Sprayers,

You know those big 2 gallon garden sprayers with the pump on the can and the long hose with a sprayer on it, that's what I use.

I use it soley for Q, and mix up a gallon or so at a time. Pump provides plenty of pressure so when I'm doing turkey I will fill the jug with maple syrup and even that never stops it up.

Hell, I'll throw chunky barbecue sauce in there and use it instead of a mop.

downside is I got about 2 inches of sprayed crap all over the walls of my Bandera. first few smells of any Q is usually that of burning ants.

BBQ'ed Ants is better than the chocalate ones. You should give it a try a bit crunchy but knock your dick in the dirt good.

brd1958 said:
BBQ'ed Ants is better than the chocalate ones. You should give it a try a bit crunchy but knock your dick in the dirt good.

Bill I got one of those. I'll rinse out the Ortho and use it :shock:

Brian, you know there will be no ants in our Banderas. It will be chock full of those big ass Texas cockroaches

david said:
You farkers hijacked my rib thread :p

And to answer whoever asked (2 pages back, before the hijacking): No my probe is not broken, and I have determined that the problem was an extra-lean batch of spares.

Sorry David.

We've taken it pretty far, but still is relatively on topic.

So next time you try spares, theres plenty of tips in this one thread to help you out.

Just don't forget to call up David's Aunt Fay and invite her over, fill up an industrial sprayer with Hab Jelly, and go nutz on them wibs.

Back