MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #16
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

Good for you. I find this topic fascinating

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-10-2013, 02:39 AM   #17
FromthePitBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Lumpy

ButtBurner - awesome thread!! I have to try this.

I understand that RO lump is cheap & effective, but if I can do it myself and control the "purity" of the starting wood - why not give it a shot?!? Plus it costs nothing to do - maybe $20 for the drum conversion, and if I don't like it, I make the drum into another UDS.

Couple questions:

1) The smaller (interior) drum, once filled with wood to be "coalized" did you put any holes in it or just invert it into the 55 gallon drum? I've seen some people add a very small vent hole and some not.

2) What wood did you use? Theoretically, if you're ridding the wood of all fillers, leaving only 100% pure carbon, you could use untreated scrap construction materials (gasp - yes, that would be PINE!!).

3) Do you notice a flavor difference and/or burn times with your coal vs RO or other store bought?

4) What's your yield (in pounds) if you pack the smaller drum full?

Thanks!! I have all the materials for the build and burn and intend on doing this real soon!!

Old 07-10-2013, 06:30 AM   #18
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromthePitBBQ View Post
ButtBurner - awesome thread!! I have to try this.

I understand that RO lump is cheap & effective, but if I can do it myself and control the "purity" of the starting wood - why not give it a shot?!? Plus it costs nothing to do - maybe $20 for the drum conversion, and if I don't like it, I make the drum into another UDS.

Couple questions:

1) The smaller (interior) drum, once filled with wood to be "coalized" did you put any holes in it or just invert it into the 55 gallon drum? I've seen some people add a very small vent hole and some not.I did not put any holes in it. On my first try with an old trash can, it had some holes in it, and this allowed the coal to just keep burning and not get somethered out. When I checked it the next morning, the drum was still a little warm. I dont know what putting a vent hole in the inner drum would do for you. You want all the gasses forced through the bottom opening of the barrel so they can burn as they escape. when the ashes from the fuel wood pile up between the barrels, this helps the coal wood to stop burning and turning to ash

2) What wood did you use? Theoretically, if you're ridding the wood of all fillers, leaving only 100% pure carbon, you could use untreated scrap construction materials (gasp - yes, that would be PINE!!).As I stated I used apple, just because I had a bunch handy. If you read through that thread I linked to, they mention that you can use pine, but it does not burn as hot as hardwood.

3) Do you notice a flavor difference and/or burn times with your coal vs RO or other store bought? I have only used it once in a cook, so i really dont know for sure.

4) What's your yield (in pounds) if you pack the smaller drum full?I did not weigh it so I dont know. They provide info in that thread. I suggest you read through it. I am no expert in this.

Thanks!! I have all the materials for the build and burn and intend on doing this real soon!!
I like this method since I have a lot of wood I need to clean off my cabin property, and this is one way to do it. I also get hardwood slabs for cheap from an Amish sawmill that is close to my cabin that works real well.
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]

Last edited by ButtBurner; 07-10-2013 at 07:39 AM..
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #19
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Let's not try to reinvent the wheel here or the lump. A simple retort is just that you cannot improve on it. A wannabe pitmaster who pays $20.00 a pound for a prime piece of meat then searches for the cheapest charcoal or lump should have their hands severely singed. KISS
captndan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #20
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
Let's not try to reinvent the wheel here or the lump. A simple retort is just that you cannot improve on it. A wannabe pitmaster who pays $20.00 a pound for a prime piece of meat then searches for the cheapest charcoal or lump should have their hands severely singed. KISS
I am not trying to improve on anything

just making lump and trying to help others if I can
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]

Old 07-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #21
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
I am not trying to improve on anything

just making lump and trying to help others if I can
Not you 'ol buddy you're doing a fine job. It's the other scientists I worry about.
captndan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #22
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

thanks Dan we are good!

Old 07-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #23
FromthePitBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Lumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
Let's not try to reinvent the wheel here or the lump. A simple retort is just that you cannot improve on it. A wannabe (REALLY??)pitmaster who pays $20.00 a pound for a prime piece of meat then searches for the cheapest charcoal or lump should have their hands severely singed. KISS
It's not a savings of money...it's the satisfaction and fun that you get from the challenge.

Never thought about how charcoal was made, let alone taking on the task of actually producing my own.

In the end, I'm guessing it'll cost me more to make it, the buying a bag.

ButtBurner - thanks again. Keep us posted on your findings with it.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #24
MAKEITOUTOFWOOD
Knows what a fatty is.

Thumbs up

Super job buttburner.

Love smoking and grilling with lump I have produced. It adds another dimension to a sucsseful cook.

Very satisfying.
MAKEITOUTOFWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #25
Bigbrett
Knows what a fatty is.

It sounds like something I could do. It would be cool to have Dun-it-myself Lump.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:16 AM   #26
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

after using my home made lump for a week now, I can say its great.

I did use some Cowboy last night to start the coals in one of my verticals and when it started popping and sparking (like it always does when I light it) I realized that the home made lump does not do this. I had forgot about the fireworks show when using commercial lump

Another bonus of the home made lump!

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-18-2013, 06:14 AM   #27
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

for anyone interested in this-

I did end up buying a 30 gallon barrel. After seeing how good this was working with the garbage can I decided to buy one since the garbage can isnt the best thing to use and wont hold up.

I can see myself making a lot of lump so I decided to go ahead and buy a 30 gal barrel

I stumbled across a deal I could live with. Its from Zoro tools online, the barrel was $50.99 with free shipping and a $5 coupon code from Retail-me-not, and no tax. And it came in 1 day!

Old 07-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #28
PanamaExpat
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromthePitBBQ View Post
It's not a savings of money...it's the satisfaction and fun that you get from the challenge.

Never thought about how charcoal was made, let alone taking on the task of actually producing my own.

In the end, I'm guessing it'll cost me more to make it, the buying a bag.

ButtBurner - thanks again. Keep us posted on your findings with it.
How could it possibly cost you more to make it over buying it? The only trick is the 30 Gal drum. They just cut up ficus (I think it is anyway... Might be mahogany) log down the street into truckable sized chunks. I would say it is at least 5 years seasoned. I am going to ask the neighbors if I can haul off a couple pickup truck loads tonight. My neighbor gave me 2 nice new 55 gallon drums a couple nights back. Looks like an UDS and a CharKiln.
PanamaExpat is offline   Reply With Quote