MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #1
A-dub
Got Wood.

Default Cooker Hot Spots

Hey guys-

We are preparing for our first competition in September. I was curious as to how each of you have tested the hot spots on your smoker. Other than moving the meat around and seeing how it turns out, what are some good methods for checking this?

Would purchasing several oven thermometers and placing in different areas of the smoker be an effective method? I would think eventually these glass would get smoked out...

Thanks!

Old 08-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
Fatback Joe
Babbling Farker

By the cheap canned biscuits and put them around your smoker and see which biscuits gets done first. It won't tell you the temps, but it will identify where your hot spots are for cheaper than buyinga bunch of thermos.

WSM
Medium Spicewine
Stumps GF223
Humphrey's GF Tank II
24 x 60 Shirley Fabrication
Fatback Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

Simplest most effective method IMO...
Buy a few tubes of cheap, pop-open biscuits.
Get smoker up to temp.
Place raw biscuit dough on each corner, in the middle, etc of each rack.
After 15-20 minutes (or more) open it up and look at your biscuits. The darkest ones are your hot spots, lightest ones your cooler spots, etc. Easy visual indicator of what's happening in your smoker, top to bottom, side to side, temp wise.
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

Canned Biscuits or eggs in the shell. If you are careful you can stick a probe in the egg and it will give you a temp.

Stumps OS223, Stumps GF223, Grilla Pellet Cooker, RectTec680, Traeger Tex, HM Offset Barrel, 18.5 and 22 inch WSM, UDS, Orion, 2 Weber Kettles...and a couple turkey fryers

"We're a drinking team...with a BBQ problem"

Want to join the team for Memphis in May?
[url]http://www.toosaucedtopork.com[/url]
TooSaucedToPork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
A-dub
Got Wood.

Very interesting. I don't think I ever would have thought about that.

My particular smoker has a fire box underneath "the belly". It has a steel plate also that runs along most of the bottom underneath the grill grate (a little like a reverse flow but not really...). I am thinking that after the smoker heats up pretty good, that middle section is considerably hotter than the rest.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

The "biscuit" test is an age old indicator and very good technique; glad to see the posts above.
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
HB-BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

The biscuit method works great. They do taste like chit after taking on smoke...I tried one once but never will again. Another method is to use cheap hotdogs or wieners and see which ones pop first.
HB-BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #8
sullysQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatback Joe View Post
By the cheap canned biscuits and put them around your smoker and see which biscuits gets done first. It won't tell you the temps, but it will identify where your hot spots are for cheaper than buyinga bunch of thermos.
Along that line they are also quick indicator if any mods you make to your smoker worked and/or how much.
sullysQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #9
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB-BBQ View Post
The biscuit method works great. They do taste like chit after taking on smoke...I tried one once but never will again. Another method is to use cheap hotdogs or wieners and see which ones pop first.
The dog that pops 1st may have more chicken lips in it.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:07 PM   #10
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-dub View Post
Hey guys-

We are preparing for our first competition in September. I was curious as to how each of you have tested the hot spots on your smoker. Other than moving the meat around and seeing how it turns out, what are some good methods for checking this?

Would purchasing several oven thermometers and placing in different areas of the smoker be an effective method? I would think eventually these glass would get smoked out...

Thanks!
In your trailer smoker I would use the oven thermo idea. In your ECB, well, I wouldn't worry about it.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2011, 09:32 AM   #11
A-dub
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ View Post
In your trailer smoker I would use the oven thermo idea. In your ECB, well, I wouldn't worry about it.
HA HA I don't lose any sleep over my ECB. I bring it along only for the sake of having something else - usually for some dogs or sausage!

Thanks for all the info.

Tags
hot spots, Temp, temperature