MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
BC3XX0
Found some matches.

Default Where and how do you put the thermometer probe in ribs??

Figure I would pop my post cherry (other than the cattle call) with one that will make you guys laugh and I am being dead serious!!

Where and how do you put the thermometer in a slab of ribs. I just poked it in the thickest part of the meat without going through and without touching bone. Its standing straight up. I've been smoking them at around 240 and in 35 minutes, the temp probe is reading 165. Do I have a bum probe, or am I doing it completely wrong?

This is my first time smoking ribs.
BC3XX0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Don't temp ribs. Do them by feel or appearance. Ribs will get done in about 5 hrs at 240. Pick up the slab with tongs at midpoint. When the ribs crack and want to fall apart at that point, they are done. Also look for the pullback on the bones themselves.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
BC3XX0
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txschutte View Post
Don't temp ribs. Do them by feel or appearance. Ribs will get done in about 5 hrs at 240. Pick up the slab with tongs at midpoint. When the ribs crack and want to fall apart at that point, they are done. Also look for the pullback on the bones themselves.
Ahh!! Ok. Thank you!! Don't laugh at me too hard!

Old 11-07-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
txschutte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC3XX0 View Post
Ahh!! Ok. Thank you!! Don't laugh at me too hard!
We wouldn't do that.. I was there once too.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

If you really want to probe you can stick a toothpick between the bones. The toothpick should go in like a hot knife into butter. The bend test and looking for the pullback on the bones is better, however.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2009, 03:48 PM   #6
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Follow his advice and give us some pics.

You can relax here and ask any questions you have and won't be laughed at 90% of the time.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #7
Skidder
Babbling Farker

How long would they take if you were to boil them in liquid smoke? Sorry had to do it. Yeah not a dumb question at all we were all newbies at one time.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2009, 04:06 PM   #8
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

like schutte said.. its the flex test. I pick up an end with a thumb and tell by that... its just a learning curve.

a few attmepts and your be able to decied how done they are and how done you want them. Ovviously, if u pick up and end and the rack splits apart, they are done(too done).

Another way is to twist a bone and judge by how loose it is and how much it has released. Bones that just twist out are 'fall off the bone done'. I usually pull them before they get to that.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #9
Bushwacker
is one Smokin' Farker

Ummm!! Yeah what all them other guys said,, it's all true, Cept about the laughing part,, I think that is more like 98% of the time,, but behind your back,, so you won't get embarrassed,, J/K, lol ...
UDS (Under Construction)
Bushwacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2009, 04:58 PM   #10
BC3XX0
Found some matches.

I might be ordering pizza!! I'm using a modified El cheapo Brinkmann!! It goes from 290 then I choke it down it goes to 215 then back to 290. This thing blows!! You can't go away from it for more than 15 minutes!!

When can I call it quits and finish in the oven???!

In better news, I read the whole UDS thread and have burnt out my barrel, so It might be ready by the weekend!!! I got the Brinkman for free, so I figured I'd give it a try!!

Old 11-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #11
bbq lover
is one Smokin' Farker

bc3xxo get your uds working and you will love it and never go back and like others we need pics ...

Old 11-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #12
BC3XX0
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq lover View Post
bc3xxo get your uds working and you will love it and never go back and like others we need pics ...
After reading the UDS thread I feel like I have been trained!! I'm a total newb not only to smoking, but cooking in general. I actually tried to incorporate the theory behind how the UDS works into modifying the ECB. It is seeming it was a fail though!! I'm hating this ECB, but reading this forum and what not made me hungry, so I'm trying it!!

Old 11-07-2009, 05:19 PM   #13
txschutte

Even the ECB can be a decent little cooker. After mods that is. Not nearly as user friendly as a drum though! Welcome to the addiction we call Q, Brother!

Old 11-07-2009, 05:36 PM   #14
BC3XX0
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txschutte View Post
Even the ECB can be a decent little cooker. After mods that is. Not nearly as user friendly as a drum though! Welcome to the addiction we call Q, Brother!

Yeah, I'm fighting it out. I'm having fun though!! Wife is a little p'd that dinner will probably be at 10pm, but she's hanging tough for me!! Doing some searches on here and this thread have really eased my mind though!

I want to thank you guys again!!

Old 11-07-2009, 06:12 PM   #15
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

if the ecb is spiking on you, take out some fuel. Unless you can use foil to make some makeshift gaskets.

BTW, 290 isnt so bad, just means your meats gonna finish faster(and have a littl less smoke flavor).

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote