MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:28 PM   #16
Gerry D
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseyjoenz View Post
When I cook ribs, it takes about four hours. I will foil the ribs and throw them in the cooler with blankets and they will hold temp for at least three hours...any reason you can't do that? I also cut the ribs one half-pan at a time, sometimes right on the line so that the ribs are fresh and warm. This isn't an option when cooking ribs for 250, but you should be fine doing this for 50 people.
THat is pretty much my plan. The event is only 10 mniutes from where I will be smoking the ribs so I plan to cook the ribs, foil, put in a preheated cooler with some towels and then off I go to set up. I don't imagine that they will be in the cooler for longer than a hour. I think that everything will turn out OK. Thanks for the advice.
Gerry D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2010, 06:08 PM   #17
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Please do not show up to a vending or catering event with coolers and towels (it looks unprofessional). Please rent or buy a Cambro/Carlise hot box!

YMMV

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:25 PM   #18
Caseyjoenz
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
Please do not show up to a vending or catering event with coolers and towels (it looks unprofessional). Please rent or buy a Cambro/Carlise hot box!

YMMV
Yes, don't pull the ribs out of a cooler with stained towels on the line...if you go that route, make sure you're slicing elsewhere.

Medium Spicewine
3 WSMs

www.smokincaboose.com
Caseyjoenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:35 PM   #19
EatRBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

YMMV
I've done nothing but on-site cooks, but people keep asking for catered delivery.

Thank you for your comment, add a Cambro carrier to my spring shopping list.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:57 PM   #20
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatRBBQ View Post
I've done nothing but on-site cooks, but people keep asking for catered delivery.

Thank you for your comment, add a Cambro carrier to my spring shopping list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry D View Post
OK this is my first time doing ribs for a crowd. I will be using sterno and foil pans. What is a good method for reheating the ribs and keeping them warm? I will be cooking spares. Thanks for the help.
Cook ribs.
Sauce ribs.
Slice into half pans and cover with foil.
Immediately deliver to event and set into chafing pans.
Collect money and leave, looking very professional.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:37 PM   #21
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:

YMMV
Thanks, you took the words out of my mouth.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:58 PM   #22
chopshop
On the road to being a farker

what if he has cambro coolers and towels?
Old 02-23-2010, 11:25 AM   #23
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

We do it the way Oklahoma Joe's does, saran and alto sham. If you are charging for cooking on site I would cook to almost done then finish on smoker at the event. If not smoking at event then it is easy, finish at kitchen, deliver and serve. Buy, borrow or rent a Cambro.
PorkQPine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:38 AM   #24
lazybonesmoke1
Full Fledged Farker

Why don't you do everything you are gonna do but cut the ribs into bones as the people come up? I think the ribs will be juicy and you get to b.s. with people. 50 people is not a lot to do this with.
lazybonesmoke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:40 AM   #25
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

Check out craigslist.org in your area and the surrounding area. I just found and bought two Cambro UPC400's for $240 and that included 6 s/s pans of various depths. Seller was a personal chef and they were in like new condition.
PorkQPine is offline   Reply With Quote