MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:36 AM   #1
Libertarian
Full Fledged Farker

Default Pig Cookers vs Traditional Offsets

I'm hoping for some input from some of the more experienced brethren on this. I currently own a Large KJ and a Pitmaker Safe - both essentially vertical smokers. I am planning to add an offset/horizontal to the family this year and one of my primary objectives is to be able to cook a whole pig several times/year. I'll use the offset for lots of other things too, but the ability to cook a 75-100 lb. pig is a key consideration. Here in the Carolinas most guys have pig cookers with at least 36" of depth and most of them run on propane. Thankfully you can also buy them as charcoal/wood only cookers as well. Similar to the cookers made by BQ Grills in NC. Guys here swear you need the 36" to accomodate a split pig.

I really prefer the more traditional offsets - something like a Lang, Jambo or Pitmaker Sniper. 24" diameter buy 48-60" or so. Will these easily accomodate a small to smallish medium size pig or am I going to run out of room? Anyone successfully cooking pigs on these size pits? I realize I could cook halves but for presentation purposes I want the ability to cook the entire thing.

Any input greatly appreciated. The Texas-style offsets are not as popular around here but these pig cookers (many of them stainless) are everywhere.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:50 AM   #2
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

I have a home built reverse flow stickburner with a 24"x +50" primary gooking grate. Did a 54 pound (dressed) whole hog (my first) a couple months back and it was great and I'll certainly do more. I'm thinking I have plenty of room for maybe up to an 80 pounder if I stay with the racetrack style. If I were to butterfly the hog, the 50 pound range will fill up my 24" depth and that is probably my limit.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:57 AM   #3
Goddahavit
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a 24 x 48 jambo, besides the door issue that you can fix when ordering, no way i could get a 100 lb pig head on butterflied. in there.
Backyard Jambo
Stump's Stretch
Bubba Keg
Weber WSM
Old weber gasser
Goddahavit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #4
Libertarian
Full Fledged Farker

It sounds like a pig cooker is the answer if I truly want to get a 100 lb pig on the unit. Thanks for the input. Pigs are a big deal around these parts and I'd like to be able to cook one. Long-term just another excuse for more pits in the "fleet". :)

Old 03-15-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
captndan

If your dead set on doing a split a deeper grate is necessary. Call Lang and tell them what you want to do.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 07:48 AM   #6
dwfisk

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
If your dead set on doing a split a deeper grate is necessary. Call Lang and tell them what you want to do.
^+1. IMO you will be much happier with a stickburner over gas. I cooked for +10 years on a pretty nice gas vertical and was pretty happy with it UNTIL I started cooking with my stick burner. Much better bark, smoke rings & overall taste!

Old 03-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

We have a Lang 84, and cooked a 120 pound hog no problem. I don't know if a 60 could do it though.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

75 and 100 pound pigs are worlds apart. Decide what capacity you actually want and go from there.

A Lang 84 is super over kill for 99% of the cooks you will want to do. Get two cookers and be happy.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #9
PaPaQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Clyde

I have a BQ Grills 36 x 48 and that is about small as you want to go for a
110 lb pig (less head and feet). Talk to John at Alveron Cookers he will build about anything you want. When I took the cooking class in Summerville we cooked a whole pig on one of his charcoal cookers and it turned out nice. Like someone said a Lang 84 with double doors and slide out rack would be an option also.
PaPaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Offsets are all about Flow, if you pack it to full it'll slap land you at an AA meeting. So size matters. Figure average the size hog you will cook your gonna want the cook tube to be at min 2/3 larger in volume in Dia and Length. to keep the proper flow. If I was looking to cook Whole Hog and other stuff too I would go with a Meadow Creek PR 60.

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #11
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

The chamber in my offset is 50" with a 20" diameter. This is a 58# pig. There's a little room to move it around, but not much. I think I can go a little bigger on the pig next time but I don't think I'll be fitting anything over 80# in this cooker.

50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #12
smokeisgood
is one Smokin' Farker

I know it's just me, but I really do not want to cook and eat something that is still looking at me. I'll take my pork and beef and chicken parted out at the butcher shop please.....but that's just me...
smokeisgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #13
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeisgood View Post
I know it's just me, but I really do not want to cook and eat something that is still looking at me. I'll take my pork and beef and chicken parted out at the butcher shop please.....but that's just me...
I'm with you there. I have a hard enough time knowing where it comes from let alone if it's glaring back at me while I cook it! To each his own though.

And, I like the Native American's view on meat- always thank the animal for it's sacrifice. It's the least we can do!

Old 03-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #14
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm the opposite-I prefer meat that I kill and butcher myself because I know where it came from and how it was handled.

As for the cooker, the standard old-school pig cooker here in NC is a stickburner made from a 250-275 gallon oil tank, they work great. The usual method is to burn the wood down in a seperate barrel and shovel the coals in under the pig. They also work great for general smoking-you can build a fire on one end and cook on the other end, or grill on one side while you're smoking on the other.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 11:06 PM   #15
Libertarian
Full Fledged Farker

Great thread guys - lots of good information here. Thanks for the input. I think I'll be going with a true pig cooker as opposed to a traditional offset for now. To each his own, but I worship at the alter of whole hog barbecue.