MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #31
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUErious View Post
... If someone from Weber is reading this, you welcome!
I'm sure the folks at Weber monitor this forum closely.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #32
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUErious View Post
As a newbie prior to entering my very first competition. I sold my Big Green Egg and Steel Keg for a Weber Kettle. (Yes it was hard) but I wanted to become mobile and have the ability to fly to any competition. So far, I've competed 3 times with a Kettle and flown there each time.

1 GC and 5 top place calls, two 1st place brisket calls including taking 1st place at 2012 Jack Daniel's Invitational in Brisket. So cooking on a kettle is VERY doable. I do recommend using a Guru. If someone from Weber is reading this, you welcome!
Damn fine job! So are you "Weekend Warriors" then?

Old 01-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #33
CUErious
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

@MisterChrister

Thank You! Yes Sir, I am the guy that cooks as Weekend Warrior BBQ.

@PadioDadio
I feel the same way.
CUErious is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #34
Ole Man Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

I used to take my Smoky Joe on camping trips.
I eventually gave it to a neighbor, and now take my Blue Kettle.
It's a little more trouble, but I use it more often.
(Never know when a few extra, hungry folks show up)

The 'Snake' works for me, and my Blue Kettle is up to whatever task I give it.
Ole Man Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #35
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

I started smoking on a kettle, too, and turned out some good Q on it. I love the idea of the kettle only competition... let us know how it goes!

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatfield-and-McCoy-Barbecue/765488903565575"]Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue[/URL] - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; [COLOR="Sienna"]U[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]D[/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"]S[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Blue"]DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]; [COLOR="DarkOrange"]IQ120[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Gray"]CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years)[/COLOR]; Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

[URL="http://bbqbeat.com/hatfield-and-mccoy-bbq-team/"]We're (kinda) famous![/URL]
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #36
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by benniesdad View Post
This looks like a fun event. I looked through the rules quickly and I saw where they are allocating charcoal baskets. Does that mean that you cannot use fire bricks? If you can use them, that is definitely my preferred method for smoking on the kettle.
I used fire bricks last year without a problem. I'm sure that they'd be fine with them IF they were new.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #37
djoseph74
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmrrock View Post
I am contemplating entering a KOSHER BBQ competition in Long Island. All grills, supplies, meats, charcoal, knives, injectors, etc. are supplied by the organization sponsoring the event. This is done to maintain Kashrut (Kosher laws) throughout the competition. The grills provided are Weber Kettles with the charcoal side basket.
I too started out with a 22.5" kettle. You can make some awesome BBQ. Check these guys out on youtube. 99% of their vids have the kettle going.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BarbecueWeb?feature=watch

Old 01-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #38
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I started smoking on a kettle. I still use it for small smokes, like a rack of ribs.

I use Kingsford blue, because it is the fuel that I know best. I use the Minion method, with one half of the kettle full of lit and unlit coals, and the other side "cold." I add wood chunks a couple at a time for smoke. Do some practice cooks, and use what works best for you.

You will have to monitor your temperatures, and make adjustments. But don't "chase" your ideal temperature -- you will drive yourself nuts. Just plan for your temp to fluctuate, and deal with it.

If you chose to accept this challenge, I think you will become a better cook, because it will NOT be a set-it-and-forget-it cook. You will have to pay attention. You will have to think on your feet.

But, I know from about 15 years of kettle experience, that you can cook some righteous Q on a Weber Kettle, and many brethren can back me up on that. I'm sure I'm not the only one willing to help you out in any way we can.

CD
I agree. I've cooked some very large roasts in my Weber kettle. Lots of chickens and turkeys,too. I find them quite stable if you catch the temp on the way up before putting the meat on. I usually only check things about every 2 hours during a long cook, using a 12 inch turkey thermometer through the top vent. Search here for "Weber kettle long cook" to get ideas. Landarc has cooked some fabulous things on a kettle.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #39
motoeric
Babbling Farker

I have a source for fire bricks that is local to the event, if you'd like.

I used them for not only banking the coals, but to elevate another cooking rack to give me more cooking space.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #40
cricky101
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I started smoking on a kettle. I still use it for small smokes, like a rack of ribs.

I use Kingsford blue, because it is the fuel that I know best. I use the Minion method, with one half of the kettle full of lit and unlit coals, and the other side "cold." I add wood chunks a couple at a time for smoke. Do some practice cooks, and use what works best for you.

You will have to monitor your temperatures, and make adjustments. But don't "chase" your ideal temperature -- you will drive yourself nuts. Just plan for your temp to fluctuate, and deal with it.

If you chose to accept this challenge, I think you will become a better cook, because it will NOT be a set-it-and-forget-it cook. You will have to pay attention. You will have to think on your feet.

But, I know from about 15 years of kettle experience, that you can cook some righteous Q on a Weber Kettle, and many brethren can back me up on that. I'm sure I'm not the only one willing to help you out in any way we can.

CD
I use my Weber Performer most often to smoke now and only pull out the actual "smoker" if I need to cook up a bunch of food. With a rib rack I can do 3 slabs easily, or squeeze on 2 shoulders or a small brisket. Mine likes to run around 275 using the Minion method.
cricky101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #41
landarc

I cook brisket, beef ribs and chicken on a kettle all the time.

Temperature management is fairly simple, expecially with a OTS kettle. I most often use a simple offset cook, banking the charcoal on one side of the kettle, and the meat goes on the other side. I can run a kettle for 3 to 4 hours at around 235 to 250 with this setup.

One key thing, you need to control air flow, and I do this with a large aluminum disposable pan, that I mush around to cover the part of the fire grate I am not using to hold fire on. I want to be able to add water as well, so I use a large oval roaster and just sort of massage into shape. I fill this halfway with water. I can also use one edge to hold charcoal in the pile, this works great.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #42
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I cook brisket, beef ribs and chicken on a kettle all the time.

Temperature management is fairly simple, expecially with a OTS kettle. I most often use a simple offset cook, banking the charcoal on one side of the kettle, and the meat goes on the other side. I can run a kettle for 3 to 4 hours at around 235 to 250 with this setup.

One key thing, you need to control air flow, and I do this with a large aluminum disposable pan, that I mush around to cover the part of the fire grate I am not using to hold fire on. I want to be able to add water as well, so I use a large oval roaster and just sort of massage into shape. I fill this halfway with water. I can also use one edge to hold charcoal in the pile, this works great.
Yep. This is almost EXACTLY what I do on my OTS. I still use it for probably 90% of my cooks, even though I have a Performer/Cajun Bandit rig.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #43
smokainmuskoka
is one Smokin' Farker

This thread will be invaluable.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=129246
Read it.
Know it.
Que it.

Good luck with the comp!
smokainmuskoka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #44
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

I had a WSM for a while and on a whim tried smoking on my Performer. I don't think I ever used the WSM again after that. I ended up selling it on Craigslist.
Baby Back Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #45
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
I most definitely disagree. Kingsford Original is far and away the winningest charcoal out there. That said, I use about a 60/40 blend of blue bag and Competition.

John
You seem to have a decent palate... then you do not get the horrible nasty from blue bag.

It makes the food taste like cheap liquid smoke and it causes me to burp. It took me forever to figure that out. It is not a problem if you let it ash over, but minion method is out.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->