MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Melissa Cookston Style Barbecued Baby Back Ribs Recipe

I did some research on how 3 time world champ Melissa Cookston cooks her barbecued baby back ribs. This is what I found and my comments.

Here is Melissa's Quick and Easy rub recipe she shared at this link - Click Here.

1 cup granulated raw sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp granulated garlic
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp black pepper (coarse ground if available)
2 tsp ground mustard
4 tbsp light chili powder
4 tbsp paprika

In the How to BBQ like a World Champion interview, Cookston explains the process.

“We’re going to show you exactly what we do to our ribs for competition to make your ribs world champion ribs too,” Cookston begins.

First, you want to remove the membrane that is on the back of the ribs. “You can’t chew through that. So we want to remove that, so that all of our flavors can get in the back of the rib as well as the top of the rib, and it’ll make it much more tender. You just slide your fingers underneath the membrane, pull up, and bam it’s gone.”

After that, liberally coat both sides of your ribs with rub, and be sure to rub it all in so the meat gets lots of good flavor.

Then spread on a coat of secret ingredient #1, mustard.

“The mustard acts as a sealant on top of the rub, which will help force that rub down into the pores; as well as it contains Vinegar, so it will help these ribs tenderize,” she explains. “You will never taste the mustard in these ribs, I promise.”

"Now your ribs are ready for the smoker at 225 degrees for two hours."

Boshizzle NOTE - I seriously doubt that she cooks ribs at 225 degrees. Bump your smoker temperature up to 275 degrees F and you will be closer to the actual cooking temperature.

“After two hours, these ribs will be a nice, red color and they almost look like they’re done. But guess what? They’re still tough. So what I’m going to do is, I’m going to wrap this up in some foil,” she says.

While appearing on BBQ Pitmasters, Cookston added some further details -
Cookston described the color of her ribs before wrapping them in foil as a really dark red color on the ribs so that when she glazes them they will have a nice pretty mahogany shine.

"Wrapping your ribs in foil will help them tenderize and keep them from over-smoking. Before you wrap them up, shake some more rub on both sides and cover it with another thin layer of mustard.

Then comes secret ingredient #2, apple juice. Add a cup or two of apple juice to your foil-wrapped ribs to ensure your ribs are cooking with moist heat and not a dry-heat. The juice will also keep your ribs tender, and add a little bit of sweetness."

Boshizzle NOTE - I think that is too much AJ. Too much liquid in the foil can cause the ribs to lose flavor. At the link with the rub recipe (above) she specified 1 tablespoon of apple or orange juice. And if you watch the video of her at the How to BBQ like a World Champion link you can see that she used a very little bit of apple juice. Looked like about 2 tablespoons to me.

"Before you wrap them up, shake some more rub on both sides and cover it with another thin layer of mustard."

"Make sure the ribs are wrapped tightly, and put them back in the smoker for another two hours.

When your ribs are done cooking is when you add your barbecue sauce, not earlier."

Boshizzle NOTE - Start checking baby back ribs after about 1.5 hours of cook time after being wrapped. They are done when you can easily twist the bones or when they bend at a 90 degree angle when being picked up from the middle with a pair of tongs.

“BBQ sauces all contain some sort of sugars which will caramelize and actually burn through the cooking process, so you only want to put the sauce on at the very end of the cooking process,” Cookston says.

After you've sauced your ribs you’ll add the final touch of Cookston’s last secret ingredient, honey.

“It’ll give your ribs a great shine, and it’ll give them just that sweet taste, which is really good if you like sweet BBQ.” Plus, “If it looks good, it tastes good. So shiny ribs are better than dull ribs.”

"Put your ribs back in the smoker for 10-15 minutes to let the barbecue sauce soak in, and then your ribs are ready to enjoy."

Boshizzle NOTE - If your sauce has a lot of sugar in it, 10 minutes is the maximum time that you will need, especially at 275 degrees.

Now, if you want to make even more authentic Cookston style baby back ribs, order some of her barbecue sauce and rub from her online store. Click here for the link.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Nice reverse-engineering, thanks. It sounds like a slightly modified version
of what most comp teams do.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-30-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Sounds good! Thanks, Joe!
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
gtr

One of these days I'll get off my lazy arse and try that foiling thing. I guess that means I gotta try saucing too. I'm sure that stuff turns out great, but I am too farking lazy to fool with all that. It does sound interesting though - thanks for putting that up!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 06:56 AM   #5
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Just so happens I was prepping a rack this morning. Looks like I might have to try this method.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 07:02 AM   #6
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker

close... but no cigar, atleast as of November 2010.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #7
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianagriller View Post
close... but no cigar, atleast as of November 2010.
Don't just be a party pooper. What's different?

Old 12-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #8
Cloudsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Joe, others - what do you think about applying the mustard after the rub. Even when watching the BBQ Pitmasters show, I thought that was kinda different.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #9
deguerre

I wonder if that's the method she uses at her restaurant in Horn Lake.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #10
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
I wonder if that's the method she uses at her restaurant in Horn Lake.
She was in diner's drive ins and dives a little while back, and I remember her rubbing then applying the mustard, but i don't recall the foil step.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #11
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Don't just be a party pooper. What's different?
This may be the way they cook ribs at the resturant but i doubt it the amount of volume she does i dont believe they would foil them, actually i pretty sure they dont do it. the amount of juice is overkill, i agree.

The mustard is right, she loves the mustard slather for her products, and the food i had at her bbq restaurant is very good, her competition turn ins were amazing. Best piece of bbq i have ever had was the bacon off of one of her whole hogs.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #12
Mklade
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Anybody recall the DDD episode? would like to check it out.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #13
milehigh
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks Bo

Food Network link:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ipe/index.html

Paul

Old 12-02-2012, 07:27 AM   #14
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudsmoker View Post
Joe, others - what do you think about applying the mustard after the rub. Even when watching the BBQ Pitmasters show, I thought that was kinda different.
I save the mustard for dogs and burgers or BBQ sauce. It doesn't hurt as a slather on raw meat but I don't think it helps much either.

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #15
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Very interesting, Bo. Thanks. I guess I am most curious as to how someone applies a layer of mustard over the rub without just smearing the rub all over. Not to mention when you flip the ribs to do the other side.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote