MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > BBQ Brethren Team Mentoring

Notices

BBQ Brethren Team Mentoring *On Topic Only* From the Backyard to the American Royal... thats our motto. Here is a place for those interested in Competition BBQ, but not yet ready to venture out alone can hook up and help out our veteran teams to see what its like on "The Dark Side". More instructions inside.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
bmonkman
Full Fledged Farker

Default Looking for a team to mentor with - practical?

Looking at the threads over the past year there doesn't appear to me to be a lot of interest by established teams to take on noobs. And after talking to a couple of guys at New Holland on Friday I can understand why. Lack of time on Saturday, not knowing who the new folks are, disruption of established routines, etc.

Thoughts or comments anyone?

- Brian
Ex-pat Canadian

[B][COLOR=Red]When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???[/COLOR][/B]
bmonkman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

pretty much sums it up.... however, every once in a while you will run across someone that will take someone under their wing so to speak.

I was fortunate enough to have someone to help out.... been doing it now for abt 4 or 5 yrs... I do had cooked some on my own before that, and he knew it, but he needed some help and asked if I would. Since I was unable to cook but one or two a yr, it was a win win situation.... I got to go to more comps, he got some free help, and I was able to pick up a few pointers....

Another thing to remember is, some teams spent a huge amount of money to go to a "Q" school to learn the "tricks".... and are unwilling to share that for free.

Just keep asking and looking, and you will most likely find someone to help out.
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
Theresa B
Full Fledged Farker

Default Mentoring

Brian- I've found the same to be true. I've posted several times looking for a mentor in the Mid Atlantic region. I've had a couple people say sure contact us. But when I do it just doesn't come together. We WILL be doing our first cook at Lexington VA in April '13. If we get to cook with a mentoring team that will be great, if not we're doing it anyway.
Theresa
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]22.5 WSM[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]KCBS member/CBJ/CTC[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]MABA Board of Directors [/FONT]
Theresa B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yeah I know what you mean.

A couple of years ago, I actually posted in this forum and had a team invite me to come and hang with them for a comp, which was awesome!

I have definitely found many competitors to hold things close to the vest, which is completely understandable. If you walk into our camp, we'll show/tell you pretty much anything you want to know. We've shared rubs, sauces, etc. with anyone who asks. It's just who we are I guess. Bottom line, we can lay it all out for you and it doesn't mean that you can produce the same result we do. There's a lot more to scoring well than just recipes.

The other thing I've learned is the time that it takes to properly mentor someone or a whole team can be taxing. At the cooks meeting at every comp I've been to they always ask if there are new teams and then they ask if there are any teams willing to mentor the new teams. I asked my partner why we didn't offer that up and he told me that he did last year (before I joined the team) and it ended up being a real PIA. There were several guys hanging out asking a bazzillion questions and just kind of hovering. It ended up being a BIG distraction to his cook. Especially with smaller teams like ours (we're two people and last year he was solo quite a bit) you have a lot less down time to answer questions. It sure seems like it can be taxing. We try and take advantage of every extra minute we have to just sit and CHILL, especially during turn in morning/day.

Keep on trying. I'd say come and hang with us but we're not near you. We only compete in Indiana, with a few comps in neighboring states just over the border.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drew

To me it's fun to help new teams up to a certain point. You can't expect teams that have heavily invested lots of time and money to simply welcome a stranger into their camp and teach them everything they know. Now helping them with details on how a comp works, helping them understand flavor profiles judges look for, showing them how some PVC pipes under your tables save your back, those are the kinds of things most teams are more than willing to help out with. Asking for basically a free BBQ school is most certainly out of the question and honestly rude IMO.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
Theresa B
Full Fledged Farker

Hi guys- We're NOT looking for recipes or secrets.I have my own recipes and pay for BBQ schools/classes. We are looking for the actual experience of doing a cook...from load in to pack out. I guess I'm a little disappointed. I can certainly recognize that it could be a real PIA to mentor a team, but then I have to ask the question (to nobody in particuliar) did someone take you under their wing? Wouldn't you like to pay it forward? I look forward to the point in time that I can take a team or two under my wing to help them get started!
Theresa
Old 09-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa B View Post
Hi guys- We're NOT looking for recipes or secrets.I have my own recipes and pay for BBQ schools/classes. We are looking for the actual experience of doing a cook...from load in to pack out. I guess I'm a little disappointed. I can certainly recognize that it could be a real PIA to mentor a team, but then I have to ask the question (to nobody in particuliar) did someone take you under their wing? Wouldn't you like to pay it forward? I look forward to the point in time that I can take a team or two under my wing to help them get started!
Theresa

I think those types of things are exactly what I would think most teams would help with. That being said I jumped in feet first and just went and signed up for a comp. I would do a contest or two and ask teams tips on ways to make the event go smoother while at those comps. You would be surprised the info you can get.
Bourbon Barrel BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #8
Sticks-n-chicks
Full Fledged Farker

Guy, I know there are many teams on here that would be more than happy to have people at their site to learn. I think I speak for most that I don't know if what I know is worth learning but I am more than happy to share. PM me if your in the KC area.

Warm Smoke, Blue Skies...Best of days | Yoder 640 | FEC-100 | ABS Qube | 3 UDC's | WSM | KCBS CBJ
Sticks-n-chicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 09-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #9
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

Theresa,

If you remember right, not long ago, I did offer, and have received another person to "take under my wing"... and he did great.

Like I have mentioned, I only do a couple a year, and will give the offer again when I can. My "helper" is now "hooked" and can't wait until I do it again.... so, when I do, he will be under the wing again... not sure if he will start his own team or not, but it sure is fun watching someone willing to help and learn.

I have done my two this year, and unfortunately, he couldn't make the one last week, but I did and was able to pick up another helper at the last minute.... looking forward to maybe cooking a couple of extra next year.
2 UGLY drum smokers
Super fast RED Thermapen
KCBS Certified Judge
Old 09-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #10
Theresa B
Full Fledged Farker

Smoke (I don't know your name),
I am so glad you got to bring a new convert to BBQ! Sounds like everything went well, so happy to hear that. Are you a MABA (Mid Atlantic BBQ Assoc) member? I'll look for you at any comps we judge or cook. Look forward to meeting you.
Theresa
Old 09-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #11
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

this may seem backwords but I think that if you want to hang with a team then you kinda need to make friends with them before asking to hang out at a comp. I personally have about 5-6 judges that want to come out and cook with me for their masters. Im cool with that because they generally stop over after judging say hello and offer well wishes. Underneath my tent in my comfort zone kinda like my living room, Im just not gonna let anyone one off the street sit down and chill for a while. make sense? Im just your average middle of the road cook but still I have a ton of time and $$$ in it and like to think that one day Ill do something special and thats when I want my "friends" around to celebrate with me.
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #12
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

I wouldn't hesitate to mentor if asked. The first contest I cooked was the first one I had ever even been to. It can be intimidating. Lowering the barriers to entry is one thing we can all do to grow competition bbq.
gettinbasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 09-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #13
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

KCBS... although I was a member of FBA for a while and did compete in FL once...

We will be table captains at Rocky Mount, NC in a couple of weeks, and that will be the end for this year. We are looking at possibly 3-4 next year... will see as time progresses.

We started out cold turkey and did one by ourselves with no knowledge what so ever, and it was a blast... came in DAL... we have met a BUNCH of great people on the circuit so far, and love to do them just for the fellowship and fun.

Offer your help to teams as you visit, you just never know one might just say, yeah, I can use some help.....

Bill

Quote:
Smoke (I don't know your name),
I am so glad you got to bring a new convert to BBQ! Sounds like everything went well, so happy to hear that. Are you a MABA (Mid Atlantic BBQ Assoc) member? I'll look for you at any comps we judge or cook. Look forward to meeting you.
Theresa
2 UGLY drum smokers
Super fast RED Thermapen
KCBS Certified Judge
Old 10-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #14
Porcine Perfection
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : ...

Quote:
Hi guys- We're NOT looking for recipes or secrets.I have my own recipes and pay for BBQ schools/classes. We are looking for the actual experience of doing a cook...from load in to pack out. I guess I'm a little disappointed. I can certainly recognize that it could be a real PIA to mentor a team, but then I have to ask the question (to nobody in particular) did someone take you under their wing? Wouldn't you like to pay it forward? I look forward to the point in time that I can take a team or two under my wing to help them get started!
Theresa
I am right beside you. I want to learn of the process and etiquette of a contest rather than the cooking. The only questions I would ask a team in regards to the actual cook would be around the cooking times and how to time things correctly for turn in.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #15
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Gnome BBQ View Post
this may seem backwords but I think that if you want to hang with a team then you kinda need to make friends with them before asking to hang out at a comp.
YES, that helps... as a lot of people are a little reluctant about letting strangers come into their "home" and just hang out so to speak... making friends first does help. If you show up at several comps, and keep introducing yourself, asking question and general chit chat, it won't be long and you will have lots of friends....

If you all weren't so far, or was willing to travel, you can come and hang out with me any time...
2 UGLY drum smokers
Super fast RED Thermapen
KCBS Certified Judge