MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Default Offset smoker mod for UDS using a kettle grill... crazy idea?

Howdy brethren.

I had a crazy notion (which others may have had before me)... about building an offset mod for my UDS. What if I took a kettle grill and used it as a firebox connected to the UDS (crude schematic diagram attached) using 2" pipe with a ball valve to isolate the UDS when needed? The pipe connection could be heavy so I might have to build some kind of support, or consider shortening the legs of the kettle grill.

I would consider building a larger cooker out of a propane tank or something like that, but I lack the space, equipment, and skills for metal welding/cutting work of that nature.

Any thoughts?
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]

Last edited by caliking; 09-19-2010 at 05:37 PM..
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Maybe as a cold smoker.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT

I wonder if the smoke having to travel down to the bottom of the UDS will cause it go stale. Or will it even travel down the pipe? I've only seen offsets below the main chamber as heat and smoke travel up. Let us know how it works.
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2010, 05:34 PM   #4
landarc

Why would you want to do this? I am not understanding the benefit.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #5
cdollar
Full Fledged Farker

I built a horizontal drum smoker for a friend using a 55 gal. drum and a 20# propane tank for a friend. I went to the muffler shop and had some exhaust pipe bent to connect the firebox to the drum and for a smokestack.

It worked great, but I had a welder to work with. Maybe you could get the guy at the muffler shop to weld you something up. The smoke pipe wouldn't have to go into the bottom of the drum, just below your cooking grate.

Good luck,

Chuck
cdollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2010, 11:35 PM   #6
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

The inspiration comes from being curious about an offset smoker and how it works. Yes, I could go and just buy an offset smoker... but then I could just go and buy Q too . It would give me another project as well.

What drives the airflow in a horizontal smoker? I had thought that airflow would be established by having a relatively air tight system with one inlet and one exhaust. Would the temperatures be sufficient to cook my groceries?

I could start looking for a welder if I get serous about it... or just stick with the UDS for now...
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]

Old 02-10-2010, 02:42 AM   #7
Papa Payne
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks like you would have a heat transfer problem from the kettle to the UDS. Even if you could get enough heat through a 2" pipe that travels down, your fuel consumption would be much, much greater than the UDS...

Like BBQ Bubba, that configuration could make a good COLD smoker.

Just my 0.02

Papa

Old 02-10-2010, 07:46 AM   #8
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdollar View Post
I built a horizontal drum smoker for a friend using a 55 gal. drum and a 20# propane tank for a friend.
Department of Redundancy Department
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2010, 09:03 AM   #9
sfbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

I've been toying with doing something similar but using a 5 gallon bucket at the base of the UDS.
My idea is that then I may be able to achieve lower temps for extended periods for making stuff like Jerky, beef sticks and items like that.
I have the bucket and lid just need some time to make the mods.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: xls UDS Offset.xls (13.5 KB, 46 views)
'08 Weber Genesis Gasser
SJG Tamale Pot Mini Smoker (SJG was a rescue)
and a Pyro FIL
sfbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #10
Midnight Smoke

Can't see that working out for ya, heat rises and a 3' drop of the pipe does not seem feasible. Maybe if you cut the Legs off the Kettle to about 4" and then used a 6" pipe between you may have something that would work. If I were to build an offset I would do something different altogether. JMHO

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #11
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbbqguy View Post
I've been toying with doing something similar but using a 5 gallon bucket at the base of the UDS.
My idea is that then I may be able to achieve lower temps for extended periods for making stuff like Jerky, beef sticks and items like that.
I have the bucket and lid just need some time to make the mods.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
your idea looks better!

I am concerned about the heat transfer issue. So how is this resolved in the typical offset smoker?

Old 02-10-2010, 12:00 PM   #12
cdollar
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleking View Post
Department of Redundancy Department
Yeah, I know, and it won't let me edit it edit it.

Chuck
cdollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2010, 12:58 PM   #13
landarc

heat is moved through an offset by using the tendency of hot air to rise out of the chimney and the resultant air flow pulls the heat from the fire chamber into the smoking chamer. Hence the importance in having the balance between exhaust and intake capacity. Also why extensions to the chimney can result in lower hot spot temperatures and more even convection heating through a chamber. Vertical smokers such as UDS types do not require long chimneys as the vertical chamber creates the convection draw itself. All of this is not disimilar to a house, wherein, you can create up and down drafts in stairways if the house is not properly vented.

I can see what you are thinking as one way to achieve your goal of having longer smokes available to you. At one time I was giving a lot of thought to having a Smoky Joe connected to the bottom vent of a old style Weber Kettle and using the Smoky Joe as an offset firebox. Just not sure why I would do that.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #14
HumboldtSmokeBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Where did you two guys get your engineering degrees???
AWESOME DRAWINGS!
Dont go getting any ideas on bridge building, ok?

Old 02-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #15
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtSmokeBBQ View Post
Where did you two guys get your engineering degrees???
AWESOME DRAWINGS!
Dont go getting any ideas on bridge building, ok?
Don't know about the other, but I got mine in 1st grade... with a grape scratch 'n' sniff sticker They told me it was legit! Luckily, what I do for a living does not require any drawing skills.

@landarc: I am also curious about the taste of Q from an offset smoker and whether it would be an improvement on the UDS. But it seems that would be regression instead of evolution. Maybe I will stick with the UDS for the moment... might actually build this contraption if I want to cold smoke cheese or jerky. Thanks for your input!