Simply Marvelous reverse seared & brined pork chop pron

Saiko

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I think we have all struggled with those thick cut, boneless pork chops you can get at Costo and Sams. I've had pretty good success with brining and grilling them, but tonight I thought I'd try reverse searing them and was happy with the result. Props again to Moose for convincing me to stick with reverse searing when I was having issues with it earlier.

I use 4 cups of brine for two thick cut pork chops. Heat 1/2 cup of water to a boil, then add 3 TBSP each of brown sugar and kosher salt. You don't want to heat the full four cups of water, as you'll end up with a hot brine.
IMG_0001.jpg

Add the 1/2 cup of your brine starter mixture to 3 1/2 cups of cold water and mix. Add the pork chops and let sit in the fridge for 10-24 hours. I usually do this first thing in the morning.
IMG_0006.jpg

Setting up the kettle for reverse sear. Have some RO lump, about 20 lit briquettes, and a couple of chunks of Kiawe wood on top. I let this settle for about 30 minutes before adding the chops to the cool side.
IMG_0011.jpg

Smeared the chops with a little EVOO, then a heavy dose of simply marvelous cherry rub. Wifey and I just love this rub on chicken and chops!
IMG_0018.jpg

Cooked on the cool side until internal temps were around 110, then pulled while I heated the kettle for the sear.
IMG_0027.jpg

Let the lump and kiawe chunks get nice and hot.
IMG_0030.jpg

Seared each side direct over the embers, then moved off to the side a bit until internal temp hit 150. Anything over 150 and you will end up with leather. Sauced up with a mixture of Blues Hog original and Tennesee red.
IMG_0040.jpg

Served up with some corn. Simply Marvelous! I just love this rub!
IMG_0050.jpg

I did not need to see that right now! Scree-ump-ous:thumb: We too love the rub!!

Wow, those are some great looking chops, I like the idea of doing a reverse sear.

That's making me hungry! I make those a lot. Sometimes I reverse sear, sometimes I sear up front. I like them both ways. Simply Marvelous Cherry or Pecan is definitely the way to go!

You've inspired me -- I've been thinking about doing some pork chops and this is a good idea. Maybe on Sunday when we're all tired of turkey :grin:

Hub

Those look excellent!
Can't go wrong with Simply Marvelous!

Awesome chops! Nice dark grill marks, beautiful glaze, just the way I like them! Great job! :thumb::thumb:

Back