100 folks, how many 10lbs pork butts?

T

tntjz3

I'm doing my first big gig (to me). It's for the 3rd Annual Tin Can Tourist Rally here in upstate New York, May 20th-23rd (plug). I need to know how many pork butts, 10lbs each, will I need to feed 100+ people one meal? It's a dish to pass so there will be a HUGE amount of sides, I will be providing buns and BBQ sauce as well. Thank you!

I would cook about 65 lbs of raw pork. I don't see a lot of 10lb butts, usually around 8lbs so I'd be cooking 8 butts.

Thanks, I get mine at Wegmans here in Ithaca NY they carry as a norm 10lbs for .99 per lbs. it's in their "club pack" pretty cool.

To figure this: 2lbs raw meat=1lb cooked pork.

1/4lb per person x 100 people= 25 lbs cooked pork or 50 lbs of raw meat. As drbbq pointed out, you may want to go on the high side of figures, so I would agree with about 60 lbs of uncooked meat.

Id go with 70, that'll yield ABOUT 35lbs...thats .35lbs a person. I know i can eat at least 8oz, and im sure they'll be plenty of people who will eat more than 1/4lb.

One question; is the line served or self serve? If it's served I would go with the 60# of meat if it is self served I would definitely use the 70# figure.

One question; is the line served or self serve? If it's served I would go with the 60# of meat if it is self served I would definitely use the 70# figure.

I concur totally.

Back