Do you have any GraniteWare stew pots? I just bought one for making chili.

Pappy

is One Chatty Farker
I bought a 21 quart GraniteWare stew pot. You may have seen it in the stores. It's the dark blue steel with white specks all over it. I had an old aluminum pot that was teflon coated. It had lost a lot of the teflon, so I wanted something new. Man, they are not cheep to buy. I bought the GraniteWare because it was big and cheap. Though maybe someone has used it too. What's your experience using it.

Made a giant pot of chili today that has 9 pounds of beef & deer, all together, 21 cans, beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatos, celery onion, spices & seasoning.

I have a large one as well, they are great for chili and large quantities of anything. The only problem and main drawback is the thin bottom, not being of a sandwich type construction it gets very hot and you can easily burn stuff to the bottom. I've found that when making a spicy chili with lots of powdered ingredients, I have to keep a very close eye on things, and keep the heat low.

+1 on the thin bottom, but overall, they work fine. I have a smaller one that I don't use much anymore. I like the triple-ply bottom stock pots or cast iron for chili, soups, and stews these days. I also have a nice thick solid aluminum stock pot that works well, but none of them are really cheap. A really good quality stock pot or two in 6/8/12 quart variations are nice to have in the kitchen. For those extreme cases (and for home brewing beer) I have a 40qt SS pot with a triple ply bottom that I use over an outdoor propane burner.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/40-qt-heavy-duty-stainless-steel-stockpot-with-cover/922SSPOT45.html

This pot is available in a lot of different sizes including 8/12/16qt variations. I can't recommend this one enough. It's a fantastic addition to any kitchen.

Back