Question about Keri's Apple Pie Baked Beans

Smoke & Beers

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm going to be cooking up a batch of Keri's Apple Pie Baked Beans along with 200 lbs of pulled pork (this is for a church fund raiser). We are selling the beans in pint containers and the pulled pork in 20 oz vac sucked bags for the customers to take home and reheat themselves on Super Bowl Sunday.
Now, my question. Is brisket meat in the beans as good as pulled pork or rib meat? I was planning on putting pulled pork in with the beans, but after I made a batch last weekend for a test run, I started thinking that it may be too much pulled pork (if there is such a thing) for some people. I want to give them a little variety... I've heard some put brisket or rib meat in the beans...but was concerned that the apple and brisket combo wouldn't be as appealing as pork and apples?

So I'm thinking either cooking up a couple of briskets to chop up and put in....or go with pork spares....

What does everyone think?

I usually use finely chopped, cooked ground sausage instead of the PP.

Make it last weekend using sausage, it was great!

Might try it with rib meat this weekend though now that you mention it!

I use a blend of meat, consisting of chopped brisket and pulled pork for the meaty chunks. I also add some finely crumbled/chopped fatty and smoked sausage. If I have any buckboard bacon, I usually add some fine chopped bits of that as well. The fine bits of the sausages and buckboard bacon are to add flavor and kind of leave people guessing.

Bake beans with apples in it . personally I don't care for it.

I'm making my first batch today. I'm gonna use chopped brisket and if there is a fatty in my freezer, some of it, too.

LOL!!1 I love bean , also love apples but not together. But I have use apple sauce in bean it was ok

We make this recipe quite often and have used a variety of meats including all those mentioned in this thread. I don't think you can go wrong with any of and the flaovor profile will only change a small amount depending on what you use. That being said, the easiest meat to use is the sausage meat, no muss no fuss.

I'm not a fan of this recipe either but almost any smoked meat or combination of smoked meat would be good. In my opinion, use the recipe, but leave the apples out.

i like to use cherry preserves instead of the apples!
any smoked meat is good

Tried it once with apples and wife threw it in the garbage. I thought it was alright but she and our southern friends did not. I use the flap meat cuts from the ribs.

Like several have said, almost any meat will work fine.

I use peaches instead of apples.
I think that is Myron Mixon approach.

Good Eats either way.

TIM

I've used smoked ham in Keri's beans and loved it! Apples and peaches work the best. I tried cherries once just because I love cherries but I did not like the beans as much.

Not Keri's baked beans but my preference as well as all my other guests like hamburger and lots of onions best.
I have tried chopped brisket and pulled pork, they all like the burger best.

Never thought about hamburger ,but I can see how it would work expecially if pull pork is your main dish

Back