Peoria Rib Fest

chambersuac

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I know it's close to the date, but Peoria, IL is holding it's annual Rib Fest, Oct 2nd. Anyone going?

I entered for the first time. My first BBQ comp alone- even though it's just ribs and non-sanctioned...I'm still wondering what in the world I got myself into.

I don't have a lot of experience with ribs, although several Brethren have given me some (what I hope is) great advice :p

I will be taking my Big Steel Keg and WSM. I'm thinking of maybe using maple instead of apple or cherry. Anyone have thoughts on this? Or any other helpful hints.

Thanks.

Dan, I just looked it up. I think I am going to enter. Which division did you enter and do you know the difference in divisions?

Ken

Dan, I just looked it up. I think I am going to enter. Which division did you enter and do you know the difference in divisions?

Ken

Hey Ken,

NOOOOOO. I don't need more competition!!!! :hand::shocked::shock:

I entered the backyard division and if you looked up the website, you know at least as much about it as I do. I have sent several emails asking questions, such as will there be electricity on site, how early may we set up, etc. and have not heard back.

If you do enter, look for me (us?) - I'll have my Brethren banner and our logo displayed.

Blessings!

Good luck Dan! Apple and Hickory 50/50 for the ribs...:wink:

Thanks Dan, I called and left a message, so we'll see what happens. I will let ya know what I hear if any.
As for hints, I would use pine or cedar for your wood.:wink: Dont listen to JD.

Ken

Good luck Dan! Apple and Hickory 50/50 for the ribs...:wink:

SHHHHH....now Ken knows. BTW, mixed up some killer rib rub last night from a recipe a Brethren sent me. :) Just wish I knew what his secret step was:-D

Thanks, JD for all your help.

Thanks Dan, I called and left a message, so we'll see what happens. I will let ya know what I hear if any.
As for hints, I would use pine or cedar for your wood.:wink: Dont listen to JD.

Ken

Yeah, Ken - please let me know, so I know whether or not to look for ya. Ummm...I guess you missed the joke - you're not allowed to use WOOD, as it's in a Peoria park - gas only... :wink:

Yeah, Ken - please let me know, so I know whether or not to look for ya. Ummm...I guess you missed the joke - you're not allowed to use WOOD, as it's in a Peoria park - gas only... :wink:

Man, if that's the case I dont even own a gasser anymore,lol.

Ken

SHHHHH....now Ken knows. BTW, mixed up some killer rib rub last night from a recipe a Brethren sent me. :) Just wish I knew what his secret step was:-D

Thanks, JD for all your help.

LOL! But he doesn't know our code to decipher the posts...:twisted:

Ken, lest anyone think I was trying to mislead you - I think you figured it out, but you don't really have to use a gasser...but you do have to boil your ribs first :) LOL

JD - I'm trying your secret recipe today, but I couldn't find cat urine, so I'm going with dog. You Northern folk sure like strange stuff...but...as long as it wins, I'm okay with it. :)

Is there any other way to do ribs???? I knew ya was playin. I'm sending in my registration right now.
Might go pro though....cant be the best if you dont beat the best.:p Now I just have to find someone elses recipe to use.

Ken

Is there any other way to do ribs???? I knew ya was playin. I'm sending in my registration right now.
Might go pro though....cant be the best if you dont beat the best.:p Now I just have to find someone elses recipe to use.

Ken

Well, I can send ya JD's recipe, but I'm having a hard time finding the cat urine without kitty litter...:shocked: :-D

No thanks, but cant ya go down to the local hunting store and pick up some fox urine and substitute? The lady from pace called me back and of course I couldnt get to my phone,called her back and no answer.

Ken

Back