• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Competition Dessert Categories

S

Skinny Cook

OK, I am throwing this out for an open discussion. Let's hear it :!:

I do not like dessert comps where the turn in item can be produced away from the competition site. I feel if the rest of the competition items have to be cooked on site, so should the dessert.

What say you ?? :?:

I guess I'm ok with it seeing as how we don't have a fancy RV to cook our dessert on site. To me cooking the dessert offsite at least evens the playing field between the haves and the primitives like me cooking under EZ ups. If you require the dessert to be cooked on site then we probably wouldn't be able to participate since 99.99% of the desserts aren't cooked on offsets.

OK, I am throwing this out for an open discussion. Let's hear it :!:

I do not like dessert comps where the turn in item can be produced away from the competition site. I feel if the rest of the competition items have to be cooked on site, so should the dessert.

What say you ?? :?:

It is all about how good you are with your cooker, on site only for all competitions whether pulled pork or smoked apple pie made under my trusty tent, you still can use grandma's secret recipe or bring her with you!

Well,,,, at least your score has nothing to do with dessert entry.

I don't really care, people win with store bought cheesecake anyways(so I heard).

I agree with home made at a minimum, but on site is best. Since I don't have a camper with an oven, I think the dessert should also be cooked using wood, charcoal or pellets as the heat source. I could be convinced to allow a propane or butane burner as well. BTW, for desserts and side dishes, a dutch oven is fine as long as the heat source is wood or charcoal as mentioned above.

If we ever buy a camper with an oven I reserve the right to change my mind :)

Homemade at least. Not bought at a bakery.

I agree Dale. NO store bought goodies allowed. The meat inspections should include a dessert item inspection.

Camper, Motorhome or not, the desserts should be produced the same as the meat. By wood, charcol, pellets, or a combination of all.

Produced on site and entered as such.

The same should go for sauces or any category. :cool:

I agree with the onsite cooking. There is no reason the a smoker cannot serve as an oven if need be. I have seen it done many times. I have also witnessed first hand a store bought cheesecake, right out of the box, take a first place. Since there are no rules pertaining to this, what could anyone say? But my feelings are that this is a cooking contest that by nature takes place outdoors, and with all other parts of the contest cooked onsite, so, too, should the desserts be. And if someone does not want to use a smoker or grill to make a dessert, which I can understand, there are a lot of desserts that do not need baked, grilled, smoked, or fried.

Ok... I will step down from the box now. :icon_blush::redface:

I agree. On site cooking only.
This goes for Sidedish, desserts and anything else that gets added to the contests.

Also, I would like to stay with a clamshell for presentations. If you can't get into a closed clam shell, then don't cook it or add it to your presentation.

Desert, appetizers, other sides. Anything at a contest should be made on site. I have heard of people going to cheesecake factory and buying deserts and I have heard of people who have been given deserts to turn in that they didnt make.

A desert doesnt need to be hot, it could be cold, room temp, etc. But I would like to see it done on site.

I agree. On site cooking only.
This goes for Sidedish, desserts and anything else that gets added to the contests.

Also, I would like to stay with a clamshell for presentations. If you can't get into a closed clam shell, then don't cook it or add it to your presentation.

Not only yes, but H yes !!! Onsite only !!!

Mayor thanks for the clamshell addition. I forgot that one in my rant. :lol:

I'm going to be the voice of dissent here, and say that I'm not overly thrilled with the use of clamshells for Anything But or dessert categories. These are the only two entries where a cook's creativity gets a fuller expression, and I love seeing the different entries.

However, I DO agree strongly to size limitations. I've seen a pallet of lasagna that had to be carried by two people. We've been to other contests that specify "must be carried by one person", but that still is vague. Give reasonable dimensions like the Jack does, and whip out a steel tape if necessary.

The playing field should be a level one.

Clamshells will make it fair for every competitor.

I was told last yrs dessert cat in madison was won by some 6" tall designer pudding casserole/cake lookin deal ?

NOT a fair playing field. :cool:

Clamshells make it fair, how? It let's the less creative win when maybe they shouldn't? If we make individual cakes or tarts, they would never fit in a clamshell for six judges. I have done dessert with clamshells and there is just no way to get a good presentation, or at least as good as open platter style. I actually say fark dessert, the category sucks anyway, you spend more money making it then winning.

Back