MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:13 PM   #1
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix
Default Spinoff: Batting average

With an entire month off between comps, I'm starting to go stir-crazy, and a new obsession has taken hold.

Poring over the Pickled Pig rankings, the notion of a sort of batting average occurred to me. As VQ so elegantly puts it, "The guy who throws s#!+ at the wall 100 times has a lot better chance of having something stick than the guy who only gets to throw s#!+ five times." Isn't he positively lyrical?

So. While it's not going to be anywhere near accurate, since I have no access to the total number of comps each team has done, it's been diverting to peck away at a calculator and see how the categories massage when prolificness (not a word, I know) is accounted for < /heinous lack of grammar >.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2008, 04:39 AM   #2
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

I wrote a more detailed description of the batting average idea in the post at this link:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...403#post686403
Vince RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2008, 04:10 PM   #3
The Pickled Pig
is One Chatty Farker

I can relate. We're in the middle of what could end up being an 8 or 10 week break for our team and it's hard to watch our ranking drop a little with every completed contest. I feel like I'm on the sidelines of a game saying "Let me in coach, I'm ready to play."

Each system of rankings has it's ups and downs. I could argue for or against just about any of them. There really isn't a right or a wrong way. Each is a little different and each provides a slightly different perspective. But in the end, the top teams always end up at the top of a rankings list no matter how you slice it and dice it.

If I had the data, I would certainly provide information like average &#37; finish (i.e., coming in 10th out of 100 is 10%) in each category. It would be cool. Until KCBS starts issuing teams unique identifiers, it would be quite a burden to track every team at every contest. Right now the only thing we have to go on is the team name listed on the score sheet. There's a lot of manual processing to keep those team names straight (dupes, typos, spelling variations, etc.). Tracking a full contest could take 5, 10, even 20 times longer to process than just the Top 10 teams. The data is available. We just need someone with a lot of time on their hands to scrape it and clean it up.

One thing you can do is use the DIY rankings on my site and set the contest limit to a small number (like 3 or 4) and see where your best 3 or 4 contests stack up against other teams' best 3 or 4 contests. Even then, you'll notice the rankings don't change that much (although Rhythm n Que goes from 17 to 4).

Twitter - @ThePickledPig

CBJ, WSM, UDS Cookers, Weber Gasser, Weber One Touch Gold Kettle,
The Pickled Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pickled Pig View Post
I can relate. We're in the middle of what could end up being an 8 or 10 week break for our team and it's hard to watch our ranking drop a little with every completed contest. I feel like I'm on the sidelines of a game saying "Let me in coach, I'm ready to play."
That's it, it's killing me. That's why I want to use your pushpin map to pick our next place to live!

No, srsly. RnQ wasn't the biggest move in averages by a long shot. I hadn't even gotten as far as the best 4 idea -- numbers make me cry, I'd better slink off and go work on rib rub instead.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote