22.5" Weber One-touch Gold vs Silver

HeSmellsLikeSmoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Other than the ash system, is there any real difference in the gold and the silver. Do they cook the same way?

I may be the only person left in the US that has never eaten a single thing cooked on a Weber Kettle -- so far, so I am clueless. I am getting close to ordering one or the other of them.

No other important differences... They cook exactly the same way...

The gold has an extra handle.. that's about it besides the ash container which some say restricts air flow.

Go with the Silver. Use the extra cash for a few bottles of lighter fluid :biggrin:

I picked up on a Green OTG last week and a couple things I noticed is the ash can assembly has the vent symbols cut out on the side,secures to the bowl differently and it had 2 handles on the bowl, now I was comparing it to a Master-Touch with a new ash can I got from Weber. I was looking at a black Silver recently and it only had one handle on the bowl. Other than the ash can and flip up grate no difference.

Brian

I've had both prefer the gold. The ash catcher is nice for dumping ash without a major mess. I don't think it restricts airflow I feel I have better airflow control with the gold but it cooks the same as the silver. Webers are great grills. Get one:-D

I have the 1 Touch Gold and I don't believe that the ask catcher restricts air flow one bit. I have had lump in there so hot that I could barely even stand to grab stuff on the grate with 16" tongs!

The major plus in my mind that makes the gold worth the extra $$ is when I see little chunks of red hot lump falling down in the ash catcher. If that was a silver w/no ash catcher, those little chunks of lump could (and I have seen them do this) bounce off of the little pan underneath and onto a wooden deck, not good.

The thing that clinched the deal for the Gold for me was when I was at a buddies house and he had a Silver and one of the little chunks of red hot lump bounced off of the little pan and into his Birkenstock sandal!!!:eek: It wedged it's self in that little crease right underneath your toes when he tried to get the sandal off and he had a really nasty looking burn!! Had to take him to the hospital to get the little bits of coal cleaned out of the burn. Not to mention that it ruined his Birkis.

Gold, bought and paid for many times over and he still only had a Silver.:roll:

After seeing that, there was no doubt in my mind that the extra $$ is worth it.

I've owned 4 Webers and they have all been the silver type. Very simple design and not a lot to go wrong. Those little clips on the ash pan will eventually break. The one that I have had for about 10 years still has them even living close to the beach.

I don't think I would pay the extra money for the gold... but I would for a Performer!!! It looks way cool!!

...little chunks of red hot lump bounced off of the little pan and into his Birkenstock sandal!!!:eek:

No problems with that here in Texas as Birkenstocks (and all other tree-hugger footwear) are banned in favor of Justins and Tony Lamas. :eek:

Buy the Gold.

I like the Gold too.

My bouncing ember issue is more for 2 dumb dogs and no need for a trip to the Pet ER with a burnt tongue.

Once you say you'll buy a hinged grate for the Silver, it makes no sense to just not get the Gold in the first place.

I cook on the Gold 5 nights a week in the summer (tonight, boneless boobs offset, last night, offset frozen burgers. 45 minutes at 275* with hickory, juiciest burgers ever. No smoke ring, cuz its ALL smoke pink!!)

I offset longer cooking stuff, and leave one hinge over the coals "open". Lift the lid an inch, move over to drop in hickory chunk, and close. Total heat loss is like 20* regained in under 2 minutes.

Good luck!

No problems with that here in Texas as Birkenstocks (and all other tree-hugger footwear) are banned in favor of Justins and Tony Lamas. :eek:

Buy the Gold.

Which is why I wear tube sox with my Birkies!

Friends don't let friends wear Crocs!

Buy the Gold.

Tree huggers?, is that why you folks in texas hunt from telephone poles?

I prefer to wear hose sox when I use my webber.....huh which ever one that doesn't have that ash thingy hangin on the bottom is da one I got.

I feel sexy! Need to find me the nearest tree to get me some huggin lovin...

Fin- I see your Char Broil and ECB have passed on whats up with that?

Brian

I have one of each. They both cook great, and both are worth the $$. The ash catcher on the Gold is nice...a lot less mess.

Brian/Swamp......Last weekend I had a fire in my backyard on my deck. Life sucked. A blanket that was laying across the fence line fell on top of my chargrill offset fire box. Melted all over it then onto the deck wich in turn ignited, then ignited a whole bag of charcoal from the bottom.

By the time I caught it, about a 5 by 10 foot portion of the deck was destroyed. Offset & expensive thermometer with melted blanket all over it gone, good part of the deck gone, chit & ash blew all over my poor little ECB.

Needless to say, the party with all the great food I was gonna have that nite had to be called off.

After putting the fire out, and feeling like chit afterwards for nearly burning my whole house down, I wanted to quit smoking meat. Forever.

Mrs Fin would hear none of it(my crying and driveling that is). Me, Mrs. Fin, and my two boys promptly drove to HD for wood to make repairs and to look at other pits. Being the start of Memorial day weekend you'd think they'ed have some smokers on sale with all the gassers they were blowin out. NOT. No big deal, I was still shookin up and dint wanna cook outside ever again anyways. Once again, Mrs Fin told me to put a sock in it.

We ended up at BBQ's Galore(in the same shopping center). My bro in-law met us there. That place is freakin awsome! Somehow, I ended up with a new Bar-B-Chef offset like Pigskin. Can't believe it. WAY better quality than the charbroiler.

I spent all of Saturday replacing burnt boards. After that me and Mrs. built the new offset. Monday, everything was hauled to the dumps.

So, I now have a new deck, with 12 by 12 inch tiles under a new smoker.
Pics will follow soon.

Lifes funny that way, thanks for asking Swamp.

Kevin

So sorry to hear this and I'm glad you caught it in time and you and the family are allright, it could have been much worse!
Good to hear your up and smokin' again!

Brian

Brian/Swamp......Last weekend I had a fire in my backyard on my deck. Life sucked. A blanket that was laying across the fence line fell on top of my chargrill offset fire box. Melted all over it then onto the deck wich in turn ignited, then ignited a whole bag of charcoal from the bottom.

Guess I missed the post on this one. Glad no one was hurt.

Back