MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-17-2006, 06:10 PM   #16
frognot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Charles

Mrs. Frognot makes great venison chicken-fried steaks. With mashed taters and biscuits (and gravy covering all of it).

C'mon November 4th!

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2006, 06:20 PM   #17
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thillin
All my backstrap gets sliced and fried. Personally, I wouldn't smoke any venison, except jerky.
The back straps never make it to the fridge. Butcher's snacks, fried in a cast iron pan on top of the wood stove, out in the detached garage while cutting bambi up. Sorry Poo, venison don't come in cryo.

Old 10-17-2006, 08:38 PM   #18
FatDaddy
is One Chatty Farker

yea backstrap hardley ever makes it to the cryo or the freezer. it is fried up will we are puttin them tasty critters on ice.

Home made 5' reverse flow smoker
Lg BGE
WSM 18.5
WSM 22.5
Weber Kettle 22 1/2" silver series
Weber Copper Smokey Joe Gold 14.5"
GPS trackable RED super fast thermopen

http://www.facebook.com/jtempleton2

FatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2006, 12:17 PM   #19
dodgeramsst2003
Full Fledged Farker

Default Small Question

Ok, I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm a little confused right now. A couple have mentioned back straps and tenderloins looks like interchangeably. I always thought the backstraps were the outside pieces, on the top of the back, and the tenderloins were the small ones on the inside of the ribcage ( Filet Mignon when refering to beef)? Can someone please put me on the right page?
dodgeramsst2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2006, 12:33 PM   #20
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeramsst2003
Ok, I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm a little confused right now. A couple have mentioned back straps and tenderloins looks like interchangeably. I always thought the backstraps were the outside pieces, on the top of the back, and the tenderloins were the small ones on the inside of the ribcage ( Filet Mignon when refering to beef)? Can someone please put me on the right page?
The deer backstrap is the same as the deer loin and found on the outside of the carcass. You can cut chops from a deer, (like cutting a pork chops from a pork loin), but most folks strip them out while the deer is still hanging and wind up with boneless medallions. On a hog, the internal pieces are called tenderloins, but deer having such a low body weight have small tenderloins.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote