smoking a precooked ham shank

elvis67

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Has anyone smoked a precooked ham shank before? Had them on sale at my grocer 79 cents a lb. and I picked up couple of them. Any thoughts??

elvis67 said:
Has anyone smoked a precooked ham shank before? Had them on sale at my grocer 79 cents a lb. and I picked up couple of them. Any thoughts??

All the time, elvis. There is a thread on the roadmap about double-smoked ham. I aint going to try to post the link, got to figure that out, but just go the the top of Q-talk cilck on roadmap and scroll down till you hit it.

Smoking a precooked ham, or part of one is one of the great things to do: easy, cheap, lots of WOW factor--a real brethren thing:grin:

Found the links in the roamap but they no workey. Not sure why ? They ar eon the second page posted by e

qman said:
All the time, elvis. There is a thread on the roadmap about double-smoked ham. I aint going to try to post the link, got to figure that out, but just go the the top of Q-talk cilck on roadmap and scroll down till you hit it.

Smoking a precooked ham, or part of one is one of the great things to do: easy, cheap, lots of WOW factor--a real brethren thing:grin:

I’ve done some fresh hams with flavor brining for Christmas gifts. I had the recipe posted on the old site before it got hacked.
Believe me smoking a precooked ham is a lot less work and turns out delicious.

elvis67 said:

Bean soup.

OK, elvis, since the link is not working--here is how I do it.

ham is already cooked, so that is not a problem. I put the precooked ham in the smoker at low temps, 200 or so, maybe lower, and run with a mix of hickory and oak, or all pecan, for several hours, depending on the size of the ham. I will smoke to an internal temp of around 140 or so, it is not critical, just do not want to go too high and dry the sucker out.
If you want to glaze it, I would start mopping it with whatever glaze you are using about an hour before you think it is coming out of the smoker.

For a complete and expert explaination, check out the Minion link for this. As for the short of it, just follow qman's method. I smoke it for about 3-4 hrs and then my wife glazes it with pineapple juice, Karo Syrup, and cloves and we finish it off in the oven, basting every 15 min. Simple and delicious.

I smoked one a couple of months ago. It pulled like pulled pork. Tasted great!

ggeilman said:
I smoked one a couple of months ago. It pulled like pulled pork. Tasted great!
You must have foiled it to keep it from drying out. :?:

Bigdog said:
You must have foiled it to keep it from drying out. :?:

Foiled it at around 4-5 hours. Took it out at 190 and coolered it for a few hours. Pulled it at the end of the night.

Back