Manual Meat Grinder Advice

slackdogbbq

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am looking to buy one and would like some input as to what to purchase.

Thanks

From America's test Kitchen

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Waring Pro Professional Meat Grinder
This all-metal machine doesn’t come cheap, but it quickly ground through pounds of meat with ease and won’t scuff up like its plastic counterparts. Its powerful (albeit loud) motor offers a reverse mode to help unclog any stuck pieces—but we never had to use it.
$199.99

KitchenAid Food Grinder Attachment
The go-to choice for anyone who already owns a KitchenAid stand mixer, this accessory rivaled the brawnier Waring Pro (even when harnessed to some of the oldest KitchenAid mixers in the test kitchen), and was the only model with (mostly) dishwasher-safe parts. The only downsides: It has just two grinding plates, coarse and medium (no fine), and a plastic hopper and auger (we’d prefer all-metal).
$48.74

RECOMMENDED

Maverick Mince Master 575-Watt Meat Grinder
After a fussy assembly process, this machine made short work of both steak tips and pork butt, thanks to its powerful (but surprisingly quiet) motor. We’d have preferred an all-metal design, but at less than half the price of the Waring Pro, we couldn’t argue with its price tag.
$89.95

KitchenAid 12-Cup Food Processor
As long as you don’t mind reloading the bowl of the processor three times to chop 1 pound of sirloin cubes to a texture resembling ground meat, our favorite food processor is a viable alternative to a dedicated grinder. For each 1/3 pound, you need to make 35 one-second pulses—a somewhat fussy but straightforward process.
$199.99

NOT RECOMMENDED

Weston Deluxe Heavy-Duty Meat Grinder
Despite its simple setup—just clamp it to the counter’s edge and turn the handle—this manual model clogged easily, forcing us to stop and restart the grinding several times, and lost about half of the meat in the process. Plus, it required babying: Twist the nut that attaches the grinding plate one shade too hard, and the crank won’t budge. The meat appeared to be crushed, and burgers and sausage ground on this machine were dense and spongy instead of tender and juicy.
$40.49

Since slackdogbbq inquired about a MANUAL meat grinder advice, I will chime in on the Chop-Rite/Enterprise manual grinders. I have an old Enterprise #32.

http://www.chop-rite.com/Screw Down Meat Chopper.htm

I also have an ALFA #22 manual grinder with a couple plates and sausage horn.

http://www.culinarydepotinc.com/p-78559-alfa-22-hand-food-grinder.aspx

In addition to these manual grinders a Kitchen-Aide K5SS 325 watt stand mixer with Meat grinder attachment has handled everything I've shoved down their throats!

Back