MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #106
wmarkw
Full Fledged Farker

My local Kroger has several of these for $299; looked at them yesterday. Keeping my eye on the price as last year they put a lot of their grills on clearance. Not sure if this will qualify and will probably sell out.
wmarkw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #107
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickkva View Post
Thanks for taking the time to post this series of videos. It's remarkable how shut the vents were during your butt cook. Do you think the open slats in the bottom vent (where the numbers are) are allowing the air to flow in? It certainly looks rock solid on holding the temp though, even if that is the case.
I'm not sure. At some point I will take the lower air vent off and have a look at it. That part comes pre-assembled and I didn't get to look at it closely during the assembly of the grill because of that. If I decide to seal it up, it should be a rather easy 'fix'.
JMSetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #108
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerJack from KC View Post
Saw one at Lowes, very clever design. (yes I know its a metal egg) The versatility of it will clearly give Weber some competition. With Weber you have to have both a Kettle and a WSM to do the same things this appears to do. I am starting to think these guys might have built a better mousetrap.
I'm actually surprised Weber didn't come up with something like this first. I know Inzone started the metal kamado cookers with the keg. I guess Weber don't see themselves in competition with ceramic kamado manufacturers. How I'm sure they see themselves as competitors to Char Griller.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #109
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

Thanks for the reviews, very nicely done

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #110
DaChief
Babbling Farker

Thanks for the time spent on the reviews. Definately something i will consider.

BGE Large
WSM
Weber One-Touch Gold
Weber Go-Anywhere
Turkey Fryer

"Go on! Shoot me again! I enjoy it! I love the smell of burnt feathers and gunpowder and cordite!"
-- Daffy Duck
DaChief is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #111
thoraudio
On the road to being a farker

Checked one out at Lowes for lunch. Looks pretty nice.

One thing I will warn people about, is, don't necessarily judge quality based on the demo assembled at Lowes. The one I looked at had a loose hinge, which felt terrible, but further inspection revealed loose bolts as the culprit. In addition there were some parts installed backwards (the top vent for one). "Feel" may be more the result of the skill and pride (or lack thereof) of the person at the store who assembled it.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #112
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I checked one of these out at Lowe's today when I was looking for supplies for my build. It looked decent but the quality didn't quite seem to be there (compared to BGE and Primo). Maybe that is explained by the $299 price tag...which I must say was attractive. I just missed out on a new XL BGE for $400...we occasionally see some being auctioned off at low prices, which makes me forget about the warranty completely! I'll be interested to see how your cook turns out!
* XL [COLOR=seagreen]BGE[/COLOR] *Charbroil offset (cheapo) and a *[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125966"]project in the making 6' long x 28" diameter offset[/URL] [COLOR=red]<<<[/COLOR]Take a look!
ThatsWhatSheSaidBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #113
powerpig
Full Fledged Farker

I wanted to add a couple of things to this review. When you unpack the unit, it smells pretty funky from the packing stuff.

Make sure you give it a good burn to get all the funk off. Also, on mine, the paint turned from a shiny black to a dull black after the burn. No big deal, but it wasn't even all over. May take a couple of more cooks to achieve the uniformivity.

I was going to buy one for my brother for his birthday, but they are all sold out in my area and also in his area, which is northern FL.

Overall, I'm very happy with this purchase.
powerpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #114
Brian in Maine
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
I'm not sure. At some point I will take the lower air vent off and have a look at it. That part comes pre-assembled and I didn't get to look at it closely during the assembly of the grill because of that. If I decide to seal it up, it should be a rather easy 'fix'.
I'm wondering if a couple more cooks, and a little gunk build up will seal up some leaks. Even a WSM runs a little hot on the first few cooks.

2 WSMs
2 OTG One red one black
22 1/2" black Bar-B-Kettle with rotisserie ring
Brinkman dual zone charcoal grill
Webber Silver Genises B
3 burner camp stove
Brian in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #115
davej70
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Thanks for the reviews.
After reading how well it worked for you, I went and bought the last my lowe's store had.
davej70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #116
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

For anyone in the NW Austin area, the Lowes @ 620/183 has one demo unit outside. Didn't go inside to check for more stock, cuz I was riding by on my Cannondale, getting a nice spring workout.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #117
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerpig View Post

Make sure you give it a good burn to get all the funk off. Also, on mine, the paint turned from a shiny black to a dull black after the burn. No big deal, but it wasn't even all over. May take a couple of more cooks to achieve the uniformivity.
I haven't noticed that on mine but I haven't cranked up the heat really hot yet either.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #118
LoneStarMojo
is one Smokin' Farker

Such a thorough review. I don't even need one and now you got me thinkin about it...
cuz it's not the end..."

Modified Char-Griller / Whalen 37.5" King Kettle [url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108709[/url] / Very near future UDS & 6' x 37" 325 gallon offset projects.
LoneStarMojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2012, 11:42 PM   #119
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMojo View Post
Such a thorough review. I don't even need one and now you got me thinkin about it...
I'm probably gonna do a couple more :) The low and slow cook was good for starters. I need to do a Chicken next at 350-375 degrees. Then maybe a loaf of Artisan Bread... then maybe a Pizza at 600+ degrees....

Old 03-06-2012, 02:38 AM   #120
LoneStarMojo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post
My local Kroger has several of these for $299; looked at them yesterday. Keeping my eye on the price as last year they put a lot of their grills on clearance. Not sure if this will qualify and will probably sell out.
Was looking at these on Amazon and 1 reviewer claimed to have picked his up for $219, although I forget where he said he got it.
cuz it's not the end..."

Modified Char-Griller / Whalen 37.5" King Kettle [url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108709[/url] / Very near future UDS & 6' x 37" 325 gallon offset projects.
LoneStarMojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
char-griller, chargriller, Kamado